Traction issues

Onion

This, for sure. Keep all the "stupid" driving on a track. :cheers:

I'm all for keeping the fast driving on the track, but I have more problems with soccer moms that are doing 40 things at the wheel, and none of which are driving, rather than street racers or people going over the speed limit. Even though they're going faster, they're PAYING ATTENTION, something that doesn't happen often here. Nothing angers me more than some idiot in a minivan drinking a coffee, texting, yelling at her kids, and doing her makeup, all at once. :mfp:

Edited by Onion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Limited Slip Differential is the SAME as Posi-Trac those are just different branding terms.... Ford Calls theirs Limited Slip, Chevy Posi-trac and Dodge calls them Trac-Loc... whatever company calls whatever whatever its the same... there is clutches in the housing that applies power to both wheels...

I'm betting you have a shock issue...with changed springs shocks should have been changed to match too... its just like PC stuff... if you mis-match parts it wont perform... its like running a I7-CPU with ddr3-800mhz ram...just stupid

Look on the Differential cover on the top right hand side... there will be a tag on one of the bolts... the very first set of numbers from the bolt hole out is the axle ratio.... if it says 373 then its a 3.73:1 ratio... and if it says 3L73 then its a Limited Slip 3.73:1 axle ratio.... unless the previous owner changed it... the Axle code is also on the door jamb and can be Googled

I'm betting you have a shock issue...with changed springs shocks should have been changed to match too... its just like PC stuff... if you mis-match parts it wont perform... its like running a I7-CPU with ddr3-800mhz ram...just stupid

That's what I was thinking. Hence why I wanted to sell the current springs and stock springs that I have laying around, and get a full kit, that way I know everything is compatible.

Limited Slip Differential is the SAME as Posi-Trac those are just different branding terms.... Ford Calls theirs Limited Slip, Chevy Posi-trac and Dodge calls them Trac-Loc... whatever company calls whatever whatever its the same... there is clutches in the housing that applies power to both wheels...

Look on the Differential cover on the top right hand side... there will be a tag on one of the bolts... the very first set of numbers from the bolt hole out is the axle ratio.... if it says 373 then its a 3.73:1 ratio... and if it says 3L73 then its a Limited Slip 3.73:1 axle ratio.... unless the previous owner changed it... the Axle code is also on the door jamb and can be Googled

I've got 3.73 gears, and I know it's a limited slip since I get two lines of rubber. Still worth double checking, or is that a good enough indicator?

just get new shocks and try that first... and learn to "roll" into the throttle to keep traction...

I'm not sure what springs I have though. What would be the best way to check?

My apologies. My terminology SHUCKS

If he had a locked, spool, welded or eliminated differential then you would have issues turning while idling... And trust me. You would have noticed the minute you feathered the clutch on the first right hander. :lol:

I am about curtain that one thing about the mustang is a bit of a Loose rear end. or traction issues in the rear axle. I can understand why. The vehicle chassis has the engine sitting right on the front suspension so weight balance is DOOMED. and then turn around and with the light body the rear end has not much of a chance. I have knows People that

You better make sure your tie rods, bushings and sway bar links are good in shape. Suspension is #1 for any track car so you better get on that. If you haven't replaced the shocks, springs and struts, you better so if the car still has some old used ones on there. Your probably looking at $1k just for decent sport shocks and springs. If your Mustang didn't come with a LSD stock then you'll DEF. need to get on that for the track for cornering.

You need to join a Mustang forum, OCC's the wrong place to be asking about traction issues hahaha.

its like putting a fat chick in the back and trying to get to McDonalds in a hurry.... just not gonna happen ;)

idk, have you ever seen how fast a hungry fat chick can get to McDonalds :rofl: