Mobo Won't Restart

So I took apart my PC today to dust out my case and such. Put it all back together and boot up.

I get an error message in my BIOS that 'Overclocking has failed, F1 to setup' so OK, I go into my BIOS and set everything back to 'Auto' and such.

I click 'Save and Restart' and it saves, then instead of restarting it shuts down.

It boots up just fine, but I cannot get it to re-start. In Windows clicking 'Restart' just shuts it down. Same when I try my 'Restart' button on my case.

This is mind bottling, to say the least. Anyone know what could be causing this?

(Yes, my BIOS are up to date... and yes, it works just fine after it boots up)

:wacko:

Guess no ones ever seen this before?

I have not, but I have been doing some research in my spare time.

The closest thing I have been able to find is that if you flash your BIOS back to a later version and then update again, it solves some problems. But it relates to a shut down issue, and not a restart issue.

I am sure you have tried things like the clear Cmos and things like that right? If you have or haven't you could always go the the extreme of using the cmos jumper and leaving your cmos battery out for a whole night and see what that does.

But I am not going to lie, I am in the dark on this one as well. :dunno:

Yeah when I flashed my BIOS I actually was unable to get it to start up. I had to use the Asus 'MemOK!' button to get it booted, then set my timings manually in BIOS to get it to startup reliably.

The 'Overclocking Failed' message still appears, even after a BIOS flash. I've tried clearing the CMOS but I'll take the battery out for a night and see what that does.

I've tried clearing the CMOS but I'll take the battery out for a night and see what that does.

That would be my next step. Also, I'd recommend booting the first time with just a single stick of memory (use MemOK if necessary). Then get into your BIOS and manually set your four primary memory timings and dram voltage AFTER you've loaded Optimized Defaults. After that confirm a clean boot and then you can go back and install the remainder of your memory modules.

Guess no ones ever seen this before?

In my case, I had somehting similar to your problem, but not quite the same

I had Antec H620 and I was cleaning the dust through out the case.

What happened is that the liquid pomp is dead and caused cpu over heated. So, the mobo couldnt start due to cpu over heated.

Check your liuqid pump if its warmer than normal temperature by using ur hand to touch it.

If you feel like it like blowing how water inside of pump, it means your liquid pump is dead and time for RMA

Vic, pump is definitely working... I've had a few BF3 marathons past couple of days.

Tj, this is actually an RMA replacement. But it had been working without any issues until I dusted and reorganized my cables.

Wevs, why would changing the timings on one stick matter vs two? Just curious.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know if it blows up or anything.

Two reasons for suggesting the single stick of memory trick. One, reseating of the hardware in case something worked loose while you were cleaning, or possibly got dirt or other contamination down in a the dimm slot.

Second reason, sometimes a slight hardware configuration change can trick the BIOS into resetting itself correctly. Not sure exactly why it happens, but the single stick of memory trick has worked for me on more than one occasion.

Next step would be to tear it all down, thoroughly clean again and put back together - minimal hardware build procedure - and see if you can get a clean boot.