Which Intel socket you think will last longer?

The socket has 2011 pins because the CPU has a quad channel RAM controller and that needs a lot of traces. Number of cores has nothing to do with it.

This. The extra pins have nothing to do with the number of cores.

2011 will last longer...but who cares? Spending money now on a "future proof" rig is almost always a waste of money. The only time it tends to pay off is on mid to high-end GPUs.

The simple answer is 2011. 2011 will support ivy bridge E CPUs, where as the 1155 socket has no future support as of tomorrow. On top of that, the 3820 is a really solid CPU. More so than any socket 1155 CPUs . Long story short, it is more future proof. P.S. @ waco and EVERYONE else who will hunt me for saying future proof, I honestly don't care. I think future proofing is achievable, and that is simply my personal opinion. So please just understand that I can't think of a better word to use in this situation and please don't bomb this thread :erm:

Also, @Niko, just because 2011 has 2011 pins does not mean it is any better than 1155. The die has 2011 pins to support all 8 cores on the CPU, and since 2-4 of them are turned off anyways, the only thing those pins are support is basically a supped up SB chip with better architecture.

2011 possibly only because of IB-E. WHile nice the 3820 is beat in most benchmarks by the 3770K. In memory intensive tests the 3820 holds the edge because it supports quad channel memory configurations vs. dual channel.

I always like to look to the future, which socket you think will out last the other?

LGA 1155 or LGA 2011? I hear that when Haswell comes out, they're phasing out 1155 for a new socket 1150 but no word on whether 2011 with see a Haswell-E or something.

That's like being a girl and asking which guy will last longer? you just never know til it gets here....

they are always changing so there is no real future in any socket... just whats in it for today

i have a fx6100 thats only a year and a half old and i want to switch over to intel since my credit has cleared up after divorce and bankruptcy. i was thinkin about pickin up a 2700k since there all the way down to 220.00 but the 3770k is down to 229.00. im into overclocking so i figured the 2700k was better heat wise. the 3820 is down to 229.00 to but the boards are so much more pricey and i here there touchy when it comes to overclocking. i'll prolly keep my fx6100 for another year but thought since prices are down i'd grab somethin before you cant find them anymore. are there new intel 1155 chips coming out soon that may be more heat friendly or 2011 that are more overclock friendly that i might be able to find cheaper this time next year? or should i grab something now? im only thinkin of grabbin a processor right now. then the motherboard later on. just wonderin if the 2600k or 2700k is gonna be hard to find without payin more. microcenter is so much cheaper than everyplace else but once things start to get older they dont carry them anymore and your left with newegg or tigerdirect which are a fair amount more.

2011 socket will last a long time. it's intels Xeon platform that will keep this socket going long after its past the due date. the 1155 is meant for main stream and seems to be keeping with the socket cycle of 2-3 years. I think since we already have 8 core xeons it's only a matter of time before those go the consumer route and intel adds more cores starts a new socket. I expect to see one more xeon generation and 2 consumers chips before intel pulls the plug. By than it will be 4-5 years from now.

I am not sure that this is a fair question. Socket 1155 has some very solid chips in it with the i5 3570K and the i7 3770K, with overclocking they have a pretty healthy life ahead of them. By the time you would need to upgrade the new sockets might have been replaced by another. The 2011 has a more open upgrade path, moving from the 3820 up. But at the chip prices as you move up you can buy into the new platform with motherboard for less than the cost of the chips.