WOL (Wake On Lan) - How To Use?

megavyrus

Ok, I got the card, I got the small cable, and located the WOL header on my motherboard.. now how do you take advantage of that feature?

Let's say I want to turn on my computer from another computer on the network, how do i go about it? Do i need a special program, can it be done through a dos command or something or how?

Have no clue about it, and it is too late to research it on the net... ;)

ooo is that what WOL is for? I knew it meant Wake on lan but

I never really thought of it as being able 2 turn on a comp from somewhere else... I guess I'm just ignorant but ya.... that would be totally sweet if I was at my friends and wanted to d/l some stuff and could turn my comp on... but I'd have 2 mess w/ router settings and stuff I bet 2 access the comp.. but ya I should check it out... What mobo you using?

I have a soyo dragon plus and I know I saw the feature somewhere or another on here.... There should probly be a driver or somethin w/ your mobo cd for it, if not I bet it'll be explained in the manual....

(I feel bad tellin ppl to read their manual but I mean no disrespect,

it's just logical and I do it all the time when messin w/ stuff like this for my mobo...)

What mobo you using?

My mobo is clearly stated in my signature ;)

So far it's weird, i installed the card, connected the cable.... and booted.. Windows Xp detected it, installed and then FROZE...I pressed the reset button and then Windows wouldn't boot up anymore..it would freeze at a given point when there is that scrolling blue bar....

I haven't checked the bios though.. i'll go look right now.

Ok, there was no setting in the bios that would enable WOL or anything.. just wake up by pci card..i enabled that..

I got to the conclusion that my card is not supported by Windows XP, which is strange , I thought it's a pretty good card (SMC 9432TX/MP).

Now, when I put it in, it says that the device drivers for this card could not be loaded... So to hell with it, i'll stick to my 3com for now.

Is it possible that a network card get damaged by overclocking? Cause my Netgear stopped working, it wouldn't get an IP from the router anymore, though the physical connection was being made, leds would lit up and everything.