Worth While Upgrade?

InCrYsIs

So I was interested in opinions. Do I upgrade to the 680 from my 570? Is it worth it? The exact card and specs are in my signature.

Or would it be better to upgrade my motherboard and cpu with z77 and IB?

As of yet, no need to upgrade from a GTX 570 to a GTX 680 unless you're going to play at resolutions higher than 2560 x 1600 and want to play at the highest settings.

I'd go for a Z68 and SB upgrade.

As of yet, no need to upgrade from a GTX 570 to a GTX 680 unless you're going to play at resolutions higher than 2560 x 1600 and want to play at the highest settings.

I'd go for a Z68 and SB upgrade.

Okay, I play at 1080 and the games I play are maxed out with the exception of The Witcher 2(Can't do ubersampling). So why the Z68 and SB? I have read IB isn't great but if you are upgrading pre SB you sould go that route.

Games: BF3, Skyrim, SC2 Crysis 2, Batman AC Maxed out now. The Witcher 2 Ultra No Uber.

Edited by InCrYsIs

You can get a better 24/7 near max overclock with an i7 2700K or i5 2500K. Next would be an i7 2600K. Note that the lower the speed of your RAM, the lower your Vcore can be, but typically, my i7 2700K's can get to 4.9GHz at 1.420 to 1.440 Vcore while my i7 2600K would need 1.475Vcore or higher with 16GB memory at 1866MHz. An Ivy Bridge equivalent would need higher Vcore than even the i7 2600K and have much higher temperatures.

The Witcher 2 has it's own issues, I think, and I don't think the GTX 680 will help.

You can get a better 24/7 near max overclock with an i7 2700K or i5 2500K. Next would be an i7 2600K. Note that the lower the speed of your RAM, the lower your Vcore can be, but typically, my i7 2700K's can get to 4.9GHz at 1.420 to 1.440 Vcore while my i7 2600K would need 1.475Vcore or higher with 16GB memory at 1866MHz. An Ivy Bridge equivalent would need higher Vcore than even the i7 2600K and have much higher temperatures.

The Witcher 2 has it's own issues, I think, and I don't think the GTX 680 will help.

Okay, yeah not concerned with the witcher at all. Looks great on ultra. So it is more of an OC preference? What about just stock? Also why not SB on a z77?

Sorry about all the questions. I am just seeing alot of varying opinions regarding IB. With SB it was simple....GET IT.

Mostly price. With Ivy Bridge out, SB CPU's and MB's have taken a drop in price.

The 2600k is 314.00 right now on new egg. I guess once IB gets in, it will go under 300.

The 2600k is 314.00 right now on new egg. I guess once IB gets in, it will go under 300.

Did you check Microcenter? I got my i5 2500K for $180, which was $50 less than newegg. At the time, the i7 2700K was under $300. Not sure why you'd bother with the i7 2600K at that price point.

I couldn't even get 60FPS constant at 1080p with 580SLI or 7970CF so its definately a game issue on that one.

Going to a 2500k (hunt for a bargain with IB arriving soon) and Z77 would be a good upgrade from LGA775

I couldn't even get 60FPS constant at 1080p with 580SLI or 7970CF so its definately a game issue on that one.

Going to a 2500k (hunt for a bargain with IB arriving soon) and Z77 would be a good upgrade from LGA775

That's because you cranked every slider to the max and expected your rig to handle it. :lol:

I bet you think Crysis had a problem with being "poorly optimized" as well don't you? :P

Developers just can't win. They either get reamed because they make a "console port" that can run on a lot of hardware or they get reamed for creating games that push even the best systems past their limits.

That's because you cranked every slider to the max and expected your rig to handle it. :lol:

When you spend over $1000 on graphics cards and a top end 6 core 4.5GHz CPU, you should expect it to run perfectly maxed out at 1080p. And the Witcher 2 is DX9 not DX11 so yes the game is optimised like ****

I bet you think Crysis had a problem with being "poorly optimized" as well don't you? :P

Crysis was DX10 - a feature just brought out on 8800 series cards. Witcher 2 is DX9 - which was brought out years ago and now some developer adds some fancy named "uber" sampling that hardly changes any visuals but brings any pc to its knees.

Developers just can't win. They either get reamed because they make a "console port" that can run on a lot of hardware or they get reamed for creating games that push even the best systems past their limits.

I wouldn't mind **** FPS if it looked AMAZING, Witcher 2 looks hardly any different with Uber on or off yet makes a huge performance difference. Hence why it was poorly optimised and plain bad coding in the engine.