DLP TV?

ivangela

What kind of a room is it going in to? If it has a lot of windows, I'd recommend keeping the blinds closed whenever you watch the TV. DLPs are great sets, but really shine when there isn't a ton of extra lighting in the room.

Mitsubishi has been the best DLP maker around, so you really cannot go wrong with any of their sets.

What kind of a room is it going in to? If it has a lot of windows, I'd recommend keeping the blinds closed whenever you watch the TV. DLPs are great sets, but really shine when there isn't a ton of extra lighting in the room.

Mitsubishi has been the best DLP maker around, so you really cannot go wrong with any of their sets.

The room is a huge living room with 7 4x8 ' windows...no blinds, no curtains :(

I guess I should invest in those before this TV huh?

That sucks as I was getting really excited to go from a 37" LCD to an 82" monster DLP.

Other than the fact that I need to keep it relatively dark, isa DLP pic good? Black blacks, good contrast and clarity etc?

Do you know anything about the Diamond series as opposed to the regular Mitsus?

Thanks

DLP TVs will still work well in bright rooms (some say they are the best), but I always like having a bit darker area for them to give more of a movie theatre style viewing. That's just my opinion, though. You may like having the DLP in a brighter room, especially since they can be good for them.

Picture quality on a DLP can be some of the best around. Black levels are superior to LCD and plasma, but the color accuracy can be a little off. Mitsubishi has a 6 color processor to help with that, plus a lot of settings to adjust.

The bulbs on a DLP do burn out after a while, and can be expensive to replace. Mitsubishi has a one year warranty that covers bulb replacement, but the bulb may not go out in the first year.

The Diamond series is Mitsubishi's top of the line DLP set and has more features to make it worthwhile. They keep adding new technologies to the DLP sets, so if you have the room for one, I would definitely get it.

I remember selling Mitsu DLPs when the sizes stopped at 60". :lol: Man have times changed when their smallest is 73".

DLP TVs will still work well in bright rooms (some say they are the best), but I always like having a bit darker area for them to give more of a movie theatre style viewing. That's just my opinion, though. You may like having the DLP in a brighter room, especially since they can be good for them.

Picture quality on a DLP can be some of the best around. Black levels are superior to LCD and plasma, but the color accuracy can be a little off. Mitsubishi has a 6 color processor to help with that, plus a lot of settings to adjust.

The bulbs on a DLP do burn out after a while, and can be expensive to replace. Mitsubishi has a one year warranty that covers bulb replacement, but the bulb may not go out in the first year.

The Diamond series is Mitsubishi's top of the line DLP set and has more features to make it worthwhile. They keep adding new technologies to the DLP sets, so if you have the room for one, I would definitely get it.

I remember selling Mitsu DLPs when the sizes stopped at 60". :lol: Man have times changed when their smallest is 73".

Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear :)

I know about the bulb replacement need, just wondering though, do they come with directions to replace the bulb, lol.

Seriously, I googled the DLP and saw that some people opted for a pro to come out and setup the TV color etc at a price like $300. Surely, there is some kind of setup on the TV to help with this!?

Anyway, thanks for the info...now to convince the boss (read wife) :foldon:

The last Mitsubishi TV I messed with had a lot of color settings to adjust yourself. You can have a professional do it if you want, but you don't have to. I know Best Buy offers a package to adjust the colors, but can't remember how much it costs. Well over $100 I am sure.

The bulb is fairly simply to replace (well, usually). There is an access door on one side of the set that you pop off, reach in and detach the bulb, then attach the new one. Mitsubishi requires a specific bulb for their sets, but I'm sure you can order it direct from their support site.

I had a Samsung DLP for years (the older style with the color wheel). It served me very well and it's still working today for one of my friend's parents.

The color calibration you can do yourself if you have a halfway decent eye. I use http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ to calibrate my monitors/TV sets and it's served me quite well.

That said, I far prefer the image quality from my LG plasma over any of the newer DLP sets. They look good, but the contrast just isn't as high with a DLP.

That said, I far prefer the image quality from my LG plasma over any of the newer DLP sets. They look good, but the contrast just isn't as high with a DLP.

With plasma and LCD though, the colors can fade over time. DLPs do not really have that problem, so they will have a consistent picture throughout the entire life.

Can you get an 82" plasma for $2100, though? :evilgrin:

With plasma and LCD though, the colors can fade over time. DLPs do not really have that problem, so they will have a consistent picture throughout the entire life.

Plasmas lose brightness over very long periods of time. LCDs generally do not change at all as they get older.

Can you get an 82" plasma for $2100, though? :evilgrin:

No, but I got my 60" plasma over a year ago for $1500 delivered. :P

I'm talking about color fade, not brightness. :P

I don't think I've seen an LCD fade in the past decade. Really old screens from the 90s? Sure. Nothing new does that AFAIK.

My 42" monitor has been on nearly 18/7 for almost 5 years now and it looks brand new.