Google Drive

Black64

I know this was already mentioned in the news section of OCC but I saw today they released the amount of space for free and the cost to buy more. I saw on USA Today that there will be 5GB free (dropbox only has 2GB) and it will be 4.99 for 100GB! I use dropbox right now and only use the free 2GB. But it seems like an amazing deal. I can't wait until they release it! It would cool if they could combine it with the 7GB free with gmail to.

Edited by Black64

Cool, though i don't quite agree with your subtitle. I jast had my gmail acc suspended for not using my real name.... I've been using an acc with the name speedcrazy since 2009, way to shut me down now..... had something to do with trying to open a google+ acc with it. I mean really who wants to connect their internet life with their off line life, not me.

Cool, though i don't quite agree with your subtitle. I jast had my gmail acc suspended for not using my real name.... I've been using an acc with the name speedcrazy since 2009, way to shut me down now..... had something to do with trying to open a google+ acc with it. I mean really who wants to connect their internet life with their off line life, not me.

I don't use my real name on Gmail, but also I don't use Google+ so that makes sense. Can you just not use Google+ to get your account back?

I don't use my real name on Gmail, but also I don't use Google+ so that makes sense. Can you just not use Google+ to get your account back?

Yeah, i did that but i took like 2 days of red tape, probably cause i started a claim before deciding it wasn't worth it.

I know this was already mentioned in the news section of OCC but I saw today they released the amount of space for free and the cost to buy more. I saw on USA Today that there will be 5GB free (dropbox only has 2GB) and it will be 4.99 for 100GB! I use dropbox right now and only use the free 2GB. But it seems like an amazing deal. I can't wait until they release it! It would cool if they could combine it with the 7GB free with gmail to.

It's $4.99 per month, which compared to the others is a sweet deal. Though I really hope this kicks off a cloud storage war and caused Dropbox, Box.net, SkyDrive, SugarSync and others to drop prices and add other tiers to their plans. I use the free version of them all, so my files are spread out across a number of free accounts with various storage. The thought of moving to a single platform with a fairly low cost is certainly intriguing.

The thing I don't like about the GDrive is that once you create an account, the GDocs account becomes linked to it. Sounds like they plan on making GDocs a method for editing files on your drive. I don't like and don't want the integration between Drive, Docs, Gmail, and Google Ads. Which means, I'll probably use one account for Gmail and another for Drive, if I go that route.

Regardless, there is never going to be as deep of integration as apple as with the iCloud on IOS devices :(

This may be a premature assumption. While I am certainly not saying that it will happen overnight, I also don't think I would use a word like "never" ;) Apple was just ahead of the times with the cloud and iTunes, but everything else will prob eventually catch up, I would think!

Those prices are pretty nice though for cloud storage. Too bad I am a digital hoarder and want everything right here with me :P

This may be a premature assumption. While I am certainly not saying that it will happen overnight, I also don't think I would use a word like "never" ;) Apple was just ahead of the times with the cloud and iTunes, but everything else will prob eventually catch up, I would think!

Those prices are pretty nice though for cloud storage. Too bad I am a digital hoarder and want everything right here with me :P

I should of worded it differently. What I ment to say is that the google product wont be able to integrate as well as icloud dose on an iOS device, due to Apple's closed ecosystem. I doubt Apple would allow google to use those APIs to make it an almost seamless use of cloud technology. I wasn't trying to say that the google product sucked, in fact I think it is better than the iCloud product. I mean it could be possible someday, I just highly doubt it....

On android we can expect google to deeply integrate the OS with their cloud...

Edited by greengiant912

Ah, I see what you were saying originally ;) Which I agree completely with! Apple's MO has always been about making it as difficult as possible to use anything non-Apple. Which has in large part caused my anti-proprietary stance :teehee: