Sign in to follow this  
Crawlerz246

comcast $%^ed me for the last time

it's been a horribly long story filled with heartbreak and tears, but I'm happy to say I'm crossing over to the light side (Verizon) and dumping comcomunists. they just took their last channel from me. they decided I need a good helping of non-concensual anal intercourse, they took analog channels, they made it impossible to watch on PC, so now it's FiOS all the way. more so, with the constant disconnects and throttling of my supposedly 15/5 internet (with the hilarious term called "powerboost") didn't even come close. well Verizon had 25/25 internet for only $5 over tripple play bundle. so why the hell not? digital goodness to be installed on friday. and yes, of course, all the TV goodness that comes with it. while on the TV topic, I had a bit of a question maybe you guys can answer for me...

I only have one PC and it does the job of everything, including HTPC. (I have a tuner card I USED to watch TV on PC with). after the appearance of Verizon boxes, can I still hook it up to my PC? how will that look? cable thru box thru card? or will the card be unneeded from now on?

~thanks

Awesome! A lot of my friends have comcast and they hate it because of the reasons you stated.

For the HTPC you may need to request a TV tunner card from Verizon since that will give you all the channel guides and such and you wouldn't need the extra Verizon box.

Awesome! A lot of my friends have comcast and they hate it because of the reasons you stated.

For the HTPC you may need to request a TV tunner card from Verizon since that will give you all the channel guides and such and you wouldn't need the extra Verizon box.

I already have a TV tuner card. I am wondering if it will work after I get Verizon tho. will I need THEIR card or will mine still work?

Well were did you get your current card? If you got it from comcast then yes you will need to get the Verizon card. Either way I would advise you to get Verizon's card since then you will have a full TV guide and all their channels and what not.

Well were did you get your current card? If you got it from comcast then yes you will need to get the Verizon card. Either way I would advise you to get Verizon's card since then you will have a full TV guide and all their channels and what not.

I got that card separately - by AVer media.

do I have to make a separate request for this card, or can I ask the technitian that will come to me? will he have it?

I love my cable company..we payed $145 when we moved here and now we pay around $280 for..get this..THE SAME EXACT CRAP. New customers seem to be getting better deals(Have been with this company for over 7 years, not once a discount). I hate it how they are the only good company around here, Verizon never bothered to lay any internet lines/TV.

These providers are something else, signed up with shaw cable when they put the lines in about 2003 been a customer ever since, they have changed names a few times along the way also. Now its suddenlink, got a few phone calles lots of emails from them that I was using to much on my unlimited service with all the ip cameras I have at 3 different locations. Got a letter about 3 weeks ago, 250gb limit per month now.

First time over a warning, second time a warning, and third time they charge extra $10 for each 50gb over 250gb per month. When I hit the 250 I was blocked from all major web sites, facebook, igoogle, ebay etc. Took a lot of phone calls and a couple days to get that undone where I could use the net. Filed an FCC report had heard nothing yet...

Prices keep going up and up, they want you to pay but dont dare use the thing... I read some people say the cable companies are hurting, everyone is using netflix and similar and not taking cable TV so they put limits in place... I am not to damn happy but have no other choice in my area...

same here. when moved in had suburban cable. local. people were nice. one on one. the guy even slipped me an HBO unscrambler which I thoroughly enjoyed for 2 years or so. then they were swallowed up by the comcast behemoth. now I have 250GB/month limits, for torrenting I got warning letters, they keep disconnecting me every 5 min randomly and throttling so much that even 15/5 is out of the question. prices keep going up, service keeps going down. $50 a month for this disconnecting crap!? and that's before I describe the TV channel saga to you. that put me over the edge.

verizon (although I'm sure same kinds of A-holes) come along with an offer for a free DVR, 25/25 internet, fiber optic, digital channels (which let's put it this way being sick most of my life, I need).

time will tell....

As bad as Qwest (now Centurylink) has been for me, I feel privileged to have never been put under any kind of speed throttling (intentionally at least) or bandwidth limits.

Sucks that you have had such bad service with them Crawlerz. Had a somewhat similar thing happen to us with Dish Network, where it seemed that they wanted new customers more then they really wanted to keep the old ones. Once we switched to DirecTV though, we have: all HD receivers, a Whole-Home DVR system, and no issues when the weather gets bad; all of that for a lower price.

OK everything is installed. that is the internet (giving off a more then adequate 30/25) and the cable TV. the cable TV is hooked up to my PC. and altho WMC is incredibly stubborn and picky, I was able to figure out how to get it to work. one thing that still is a problem: WMC shows everything in SD not HD. sad. my PC doesn't have a HDMI in, so I had to use coax. but when I was using coax before, (clearQAM) I was able to see local channels' HD! so why wouldn't it work now?