Windows Update failed, google results not helpful

czGLoRy

Had a power failure today on my system that was running fine. I start it up and windows failed to boot, wanted to run startup repair, I tried, and it did not detect a windows installation. I got some errors, and basically after trying several things decided to reboot (it was showing my windows partition as "0" size and was crashing launching the startup repair). I don't know how the power outage caused this, but electricity here is not grounded so maybe it caused some sort of hardware damage.

I reformatted my drive and when I try to run windows Update, I get this error:

Windows could not search for new udates.

An error occured while checking for new updates on your computer.

Code 80072EFE

Google results are not helpful, mostly say wait. I downloaded the microsoft quick fix and it did nothing. This is a new installation on my hard drive, I deleted the previous partition and installed Windows and tried to update with no success. Any ideas? Having a host of problems on my computer lately that are making me want to pull out my hair. This is Windows 7 64 bit running off an SSD.

Thanks for any response.

Mark

power failure can sometimes mean a surge... hope thats not your case as it should have rebooted.

System repair from a bad start up has never worked for me... pop in the Disk and do a system repair from the install dvd and save your stuff during the repair...

that happened with mine once. sync your PC clock with windows.com;

right-click time/clock at your task bar, click Adjust date/time. under Internet Time tab; click Change settings... then click Update now. click OK to close all date/time windows.

I did reformat again after this, there was apparently a possible rootkit problem (from a clean format I guess??), I downloaded the kaspersky tool and ran that and it found some suspicious files, fixed it but same issue. I reformatted again wiping all my drives and I was able to check for windows updates, and downloaded the 140 or so updates. On installing the updates, it froze at "#9" update, and I left it on overnight. No progress. I forced reboot, and its "configuring windows updates.. 0%, do not turn off computer" for hours now already. I want to throw my computer in the bath tub at this time.. I have been having nonstop problems. Any ideas? It seems to me like maybe my hard drive is messing up, which is unfortunate as it is quite new.