Need new case compatible with H100

Case Choice  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following is the best choice for an x79 system + H100 cooler(taking cost into consideration)

• Dragon Rider $129.99 ($30 mir not included)
    • NZXT Phantom $129.99
    • CM Storm Trooper $149.99

I'm looking to upgrade from an Antec 900, I've made some modifications to this case to fit a H100, but not quite happy with how it turns out(I'm not really good with tools so it looks terrible), CPU temps were reaching 60 degrees at 4.6GHz, GPU 580 pushing 70 degrees at 900/1800/2300.

I'm looking for something cost effective to upgrade to that will ensure adequate air flow for my GPU and compatible with a H100 w/c.

I have a tight budget so the Storm Trooper is as high as I am willing to go, the prices are a little high because I'm in Canada and things cost more for no reason at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've reviewed the NZXT Phantom and the CM Storm Trooper...

The NZXT wasn't my favorite in dealing with cable routing and working in period but it is a decent looking case and very well built.

The CM Storm Trooper is still one of my favorite cases to have tested yet. It's sturdy, easy to work in, big in size and just neat looking. The fan controller is a little odd, but you don't have to use it...it's a nice case.

The H100 should fit in any of those you have listed. I didn't have the H100 when I reviewed either of the cases; that was back before I even got my 2600K. I was still running the Phenom X3 at the time...but temps still favored the well air routed CM Storm Trooper (review)

I'd recommend getting the Corsair Carbide 500R instead. It's meant for the H100.It has the same airflow option of the CM Storm Trooper since you're gonna lose the top 200mm anyway if you fit the H100. But since the 500R is smaler in size, it should technically yield better airflow inside. CMIIWcheers.gif

I've also reviewed that case...haha. I seem to have had a fair share of cases -- It doesn't feel quite as "built" as the CM Storm Trooper. I feel like you get a lot more out of the Trooper for about the same price. The 500R doesn't have the rugged feel -- but it does okay cooling wise. If you look at that link to the review you can see it compared to the other two cases even yet.

You also really have to like that glossy white. Might look like an actual storm trooper more than the trooper, but it wasn't my favorite.

I've actually thought hard about the 500R, the price is good at $119.99, sitting between the Dragon Rider and the Phantom.

The main reason I didn't put it on here is because it's a mid tower, and that colour......

Now that you mentioned it I'm again undecided, I've read BluePanda's review, and cooling wise it looks to be on par.

I guess I could pay $10 extra for the black, but how spacious is the 500R really? With a 4x Sli/Xfire x79 board would I be strapped for space in a mid tower if I decide to fill it(which I probably won't)?

Edited by xywdx

I've actually thought hard about the 500R, the price is good at $119.99, sitting between the Dragon Rider and the Phantom.

The main reason I didn't put it on here is because it's a mid tower, and that colour......

Now that you mentioned it I'm again undecided, I've read BluePanda's review, and cooling wise it looks to be on par.

I guess I could pay $10 extra for the black, but how spacious is the 500R really? With a 4x Sli/Xfire x79 board would I be strapped for space in a mid tower if I decide to fill it(which I probably won't)?

I'd say for space the 500R isn't the best. Something about the case just never made me really like it. It was a nice change in color, but I wouldn't like it as a case for myself. There are lots of options for nicer cases in the same price range...

A big case for cheap is difficult but not impossible. The HAF 932 is still a favorite and the red version with the mesh side fan panel is only $130ish on the egg. The trooper is still a great case from the options you've narrowed down. The NZXT Phantom is small for a "full-tower" and you might be a bit disappointed...

What's your full setup going to be in the end? What hardware are you trying to cram in? Card length makes a difference in some cases...but not a huge deal. Just post your specs...that'll give us all an idea of what case you might be best interested in.

I've also reviewed that case...haha. I seem to have had a fair share of cases -- It doesn't feel quite as "built" as the CM Storm Trooper. I feel like you get a lot more out of the Trooper for about the same price. The 500R doesn't have the rugged feel -- but it does okay cooling wise. If you look at that link to the review you can see it compared to the other two cases even yet.

I do agree that it's kind of 'flimsy' here and there when compared to something like the HAF X. But IMO it isn't as bad as the NZXT Phantom with the plastic here and there. Generally I'm not too concerned of the materials it uses or if it isn't as 'strong' looking as the other. As long as it holds and won't fall apart, fine by me.. The reason I like the 500R so much is because it looks quite simple, has all the features I need and not the features I don't need, and it's small enough to fit my room. Plus, like you said, you gotta like that white colour :D

You also really have to like that glossy white. Might look like an actual storm trooper more than the trooper, but it wasn't my favorite.

Don't know why but I loled there :lol:

EDIT: Btw, I've always wondered how reviewers do their review on cases. They do it with the case 'as it is' out of the box right?

Edited by vandreadstriker

the NZXT Phantom is not compatible if your ram slots are at the top of the board. the fans from for the h100 will go over the board a little. the only cases i found compatible are the ones that would support a 3x120 or 2x120 rad on top. best of luck looking, i just spent a week find a compatible case that would not intrude on the motherboard.

if you are already dropping $150 get the Corsair 600 which fits the h100 great

I also came across this forum where someone made a whole list of cases that work with pictures once again you have to watch out because half those people have the fans overhanging the case. For me the x79 and x58 both have the ram slots touching the top of the board so i could not get the fans to fit on.

edit: here is some pictures of it working in a case but almost blocking the ram slots but because it was down a little it was okay

6b1878bb_IMG-20120214-00200.jpeg

c5d63aff_IMG-20120214-00207.jpeg

Edited by hornybluecow