Best SSD for Sabertooth x58?

Hi.

I'm inexpert and I need precise info please.

I have this hardware config:

WD CAVIAR BLACK 500GB 64MB CACHE per il Sistema Operativo (windows 7

x64)

ASUS SABERTOOTH X58

INTEL Core i7 980X 3.33Ghz 12MB

CORSAIR DDR3 1600 12GB

Case Cooler master HAF-X

I'd like to replace WD CAVIAR with a SSD

In you opinion what SSD can I use (around 120GB)?

Can you tell me precisely what steps I have to do in the BIOS to configure the SSD?

thanks very much, Fox

Find an SSD from a reputable company and pick the 120 gig drive that has the lowest price, in real world use the performance numbers so many post mean NOTHING. You could also look at a chaching SSD from Corsair or OCZ and keep the spindle drive. Not as fast as a pure SSD solution but still faster than a spindle.

As for setup, just turn on ACHI and you will be fine.

Find an SSD from a reputable company and pick the 120 gig drive that has the lowest price, in real world use the performance numbers so many post mean NOTHING. You could also look at a chaching SSD from Corsair or OCZ and keep the spindle drive. Not as fast as a pure SSD solution but still faster than a spindle.

Can he still use caching even though he's X58??

OP everything he says is true, pretty much any SSD will be amazing. Are you in America, your english seems a little broken so I'm guessing not?

Can he still use caching even though he's X58??

OP everything he says is true, pretty much any SSD will be amazing. Are you in America, your english seems a little broken so I'm guessing not?

Pretty sure he was talking about an actual caching drive which come with its own software.

Like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233262

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227755

But do I have to buy SSD with serial 2 or 3? Can you tell me the right SSD for Sabertooth x58? I'm afraid to do a mistaken.

Ok, I will turn on ACHI on BIOS but do I also have unlug some cables inside my PC? Now I'm using "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller" .

thanks

jejeje, yes, english is not my mother-tongue. ;) I speak italian and spanish.,

While the Vertex 4 will be really cool in day to day use there is no difference between an SATA II drive and an SATA III drive. In fact the difference between a fast SATA III drive and a slow SATA II drive is almost impossible to notice short of benchmarks. The reason for this is the strength of the SSD is NOT it's through put but rather it's access time.

The OCZ Vertex4's are out soon. They will be premier for a SDD.

Do you mean it?

http://www.ebay.it/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=OCZ+Vertex4&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I think they have shipped.

It uses SATA-600, can I use it with Sabertooth x58?

Is it necessary an adapter to install a SSD in a removable 3.5" hard drive rack?

thanks

Edited by FoxUlisse

While the Vertex 4 will be really cool in day to day use there is no difference between an SATA II drive and an SATA III drive. In fact the difference between a fast SATA III drive and a slow SATA II drive is almost impossible to notice short of benchmarks. The reason for this is the strength of the SSD is NOT it's through put but rather it's access time.

Ed, The new sandforce controller takes SSD's to a different level. The benchmarks are very noticable. Very. Especially with 4K read and write speeds. Caching is going to be huge very soon and these new SSD's will be much better.

Edited by Drdeath