New Build vs old (What benchmarks?)

ir_cow

hey so i'm about to finish my new build in about 2 weeks and before i take it all apart what benchmarks would would guys want to see?

i think a before and after would be a great way to show other people what upgrading may help out. below is a list of what i'm thinking

1366 rig:

- 6gb, 12gb and 24gb and 48gb test for a game(s) (i'm using a GTX 570 and game suggestions?) and seeing if it has any effect using more ram

- same test but for rendering video (program suggestions?)

- stock 2.6ghz vs 4ghz for certain apps (any suggestions?)

2011 rig

-6gb, 8gb, 12gb, 16gb, 32gb, 48gb and 64gb tests (sane programs as above, both video games and rendering)

-cpu comparison of stock 3.2 vs 4.5ghz(?)

give me some ideas because once i take apart my 1366 rig i won't be able to test it again.

That all sounds good, definitely do some heavy hitting CPU tests like video encoding or 3D rendering. My next upgrade (when they hit $100 or less, which will be a while off), is likely a gulftown 970 but I'd like to see how the 1366 compares. Maybe run the 3930K at 4.0ghz too so you get clock per clock comparisons as well

gaming:

Skyrim (duno if you can)

Final Fantasy 14 Benchmark

Unigine Heaven Benchmark

3DMark 06

3DMark Vantage

Crysis Benchmark

cpu workload:

large blender file

some mental ray with raytracing (something that takes around 10 minutes)

large photoshop file (i got 15gb ones)

cineabench 11.5

handbreak for video,

I can't think of much more

Edited by hornybluecow

update: I can't seem to find a game that will use more than 1gb of ram, most if not all are limited to the vram over the memory ram. anyone know of a super high memory hog?

Have you played civilization before? Try civ v with the largest map possible max ai and once you get around the 1500 turn mark you are definitely going to want a good CPU and a decent amount of ram. The game is killer of CPU and memory resources.

Edit: PCMark is a good bench to use also

Edited by Stonerboy779

hmm, i'll try to get civilization. PC Mark is a good idea but it's not real world. the only thing i got past 10gb so far is photoshop :(

Edited by hornybluecow

yeah but thats a given, it loves to cache things to the ram and they even only recommend running after-effects with a second drive scratch disk since most people wouldn't have enough ram.

I might take a 40min uncompressed 720p video with some dumb effects put on it and see how much it takes up. my guess is no more than 8gb.

Edited by hornybluecow