Motherboard Safety MSI 790GX-G65 (MS-7576)

Hello. My goal is to stabilize a 4GHz 24/7 overclock of my AMD 965.

The real question is: Is it possible with my current motherboard? Have you used this motherboard and overclocked successfully?

I've been happy with my system's performance ( for almost 2 years) until I started overclocking. The MB came into question when I ran into posts concerning the VRM's not being able to handle increased voltages and blowing up (essentially).

The attached photos show the best I have been able to accomplish (after some reading). These settings (as shown) were stable for only 45 seconds testing 3 (not 4) cores using Prime 95, resulting in a BSOD crash. Converting video was also problematic. CPU load was around 72% for 15 seconds before a BSOD. Since then I backed down the system to stock settings. I'm waiting to learn more before I push the proverbial envelope again.

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 965 27 °C

Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 790GX-G65 (MS-7576) (CPU1) 27 °C

Cheers.

Trainingwheels

post-85912-0-96232000-1334864932_thumb.jpeg

post-85912-0-34566700-1334864962_thumb.jpeg

post-85912-0-82893500-1334864979_thumb.jpeg

I wouldn't push it too much...BluePanda's old rig nearly blew up with a stock 1090T in a 790XT-G45. It's a bit lower end than yours but I've heard a lot of horror stories about MSI boards of than era.

I wouldn't push it too much...BluePanda's old rig nearly blew up with a stock 1090T in a 790XT-G45. It's a bit lower end than yours but I've heard a lot of horror stories about MSI boards of than era.

Would 4.o GHz be too much? Or would the "too much" be the voltage?

Maybe another question:

What about a replacement board under $100, that would allow me to push the cpu to 4GHz?

Thanks for your input.

Those msi mb's were not great for oc'ing, problem was not the cpu over heating but the vrm's heating up and blowing. If your having a problem encoding video then it's a good sign it's oc'ed too high for that board. As far as finding a decent oc'ing mb for under $100 ,unless it's used I personally don't think there is any out there.:biggrin:

I used a asus m3n-ht hdmi with a 780a chips and pushed a Pii 965 to 4.10.. But that was an asus board with ample chipset cooling and water on the chip. I pushed that shame chip with a gigabyte board and it did pretty well also. Not to sure what board to pick now but an upper end quality board and good cooling will get you there. And one other thing isnt that a black edition chip. I believe it is but i have been away from and for a while. If so use the multiplier instead of the front side buss to oveclock that chip. Then after you can't move aother half multi use the fsb and tweak the nb and memory to get better results.

Ill post more soon. Ill track down a decent board.for.you.

Hello again. I went looking for one and found a motherboard from gigabyte. Under 100 coin, has a nice heatsink package, supports all thurban, burndozer processors and did i mention its under 100 dollars with free shipping from newegg. Enjoy. Linked below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

i use 790gx msi board too but it comes with better and cooled vrm, still unable to get 4Ghz stable probably due to C2 revision Pii. why don't you try decreasing fsb and start upping the multiplier 0.5 step each time while adding some voltage to increase stability ... i heard those C3 revision Pii is better with multiplier overclocking

i use 790gx msi board too but it comes with better and cooled vrm, still unable to get 4Ghz stable probably due to C2 revision Pii. why don't you try decreasing fsb and start upping the multiplier 0.5 step each time while adding some voltage to increase stability ... i heard those C3 revision Pii is better with multiplier overclocking

Thank you for bringing that up. I've read about this. The FSB is that 200 number in the BIOS, right?

Last night I tried raising the multiplier to 18 and voltage to 1.407 and got stable Prime 95 results (for over 5 minutes) at 3.6 GHz.

Now, SUPPOSE I push this thing too far and bad things happen... will the cpu OR motherboard die, or would it be BOTH?

Thanks!

Trainingwheels

read this, i just remember ajmatson did a review on this board back in 2009... follow the instruction on overclocking, but if you don't feel safe on 1.5v try a lower voltage say 1.45v and make sure those vrm are cooled... maybe you can pm ajmatson if he still remember about the review ;)

Edited by panjang110

read this, i just remember ajmatson did a review on this board back in 2009... follow the instruction on overclocking, but if you don't feel safe on 1.5v try a lower voltage say 1.45v and make sure those vrm are cooled... maybe you can pm ajmatson if he still remember about the review ;)

Very Cool! I will read this tonight. Thank you all for making this fun and educational. You guys are great.

Trainingwheels