Best transfer program

tinpau

Hey everyone !!

I just picked up a new laptop for my wife and now, of course, she wants me to transfer alot of her data and programs to the new one. I was wondering what is the easiest and best program to do that.....

I know I could take my usb drive and copy data to it and then drop it onto the new hd ... but what about installed programs and things with data ???

What are the stores and geek squad guys using to transfer drives ?

Thanx

Tinpau

You will need to reinstall all her programs which means you will need the setups.Things like adobe and java you get off the web.No problem with her docs, music ,video etc like you said a usb flash drive is the easiest way. Unfortunately any programs need to be reinstalled to the new pc.

Another vote for Acronis! Heck even the free version you get with either WD or Seagate is a great program :thumbsup: But, I mainly use this program for backing up/coping drives not transferring.

For transferring data, a usb or external is prob you best option. If you are wanting to install programs, I would prob just do it from scratch.

Is Acronis suitable in this case?

It's a new laptop with what will probably be a completely different driver set. He'll be lucky to even boot if he does an image of his old laptop drive.

Isn't the OP going to have to reinstall all the programs again and then just copy across data, music, video, etc?

It's a new laptop with what will probably be a completely different driver set. He'll be lucky to even boot if he does an image of his old laptop drive.

Isn't the OP going to have to reinstall all the programs again and then just copy across data, music, video, etc?

Acronis Home True Image, with the Plus Pack, has something called "Universal Restore", which doesn't transfer the drivers. So if you wanted to switch your OS on your hard drive from an AMD to an Intel CPU, or a different motherboard, it works great. Just boot, then install the new drivers for your different chipset.

Agreed. Acronis is more of when you're migrating from one HDD to the next, in the same machine. That way you have a seamless transition.

Download all previous installers, reinstall all your goodies, and transfer files via external drive / dropbox / usb flash drive.