I Pulled A Boner

GTSticky

believe me, they do DUMB stuff. like mashing a monitor plug into a serial port (15 pin male into a 9 pin male connector).

my favorite customer screw up of all time is still the guy that kinda listened to me about water cooling his system. he opted to pour a bag of crushed ice into his case. of course we all know how that one ended...

so don't think dropping a cpu was such a bad thing. god knows I've seen 100 times worse

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen people put SDRAM in backwards...frys the RAM, the slot and more often then not, the motherboard.

Wow i did this, with DDR Ram, the same ram im runnin in my system right now. I was actually able to get the clips clamped down and the ram in place, started up... "Why wont it start!?"

Hehe... didnt burn out the mobo or ram or anything, guess i just got lucky!

a bag of crushed ice in the case?that guy shouldnt be alowed to live by himself.some one should hire him a live in nurse.

how about not allowed to breed.

just had to talk to one on the phone who jammed a agp 2x card into an agp 8x slot :( he CUT the notch out of the agp slot. he's blaming the store for selling him a "bad" mobo... stupid clowns. it should be legal to beat them just for being stupid.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought Will Smith's 2.4c chip (he upgraded to water cooling and a new chip!)

So I'm showing my daughter how to build a computer when the blister pack holding the CPU gives a little flick and WHEEEE, there goes the CPU across the room onto the cement floor... 1 broken pin and 4 bent ones..

Ok, so I'm an idiot.

I go out and buy one retail since I spent 3 hours putting all the other components together. The retail CPU is pretty good, it works great with my OCZ ram and smokes my P4 3.0c cpu

So I send the chip to motherboardrepair.com - nice guy over there, Gary Headlee. He repairs the chip, briefly tests it and sends it back. I have nothing bad to say about Mr. Headlee, he did what he said he would do.

I put the chip into an Abit IS7-G with 1GB of newly-returned-from-RMA GEIL PC3500 CAS2 RAM. Now comes the problem.

As far as I can tell, it runs just fine at 200 fsb. As soon as it's put up to even a small overclock like 216 fsb it bombs Prime95...

Is this behavior consistent with your experience of a fried CPU?

Should I try to utilize this CPU in ANY capacity or just make it into a keychain (I'm not kidding)

Have you stopped laughing at me yet for dropping it in the first place? :lol:

Personally, I've had terrible experience with GeIL RAM at anything higher than 200fsb, except that the support man Mr. Wong, is very professional and helpful. The performance, however, lacks behind Corsair and OCZ.

My final question, should I bother to test this CPU in my main box where I currently have the retail 2.4? I don't really want to waste an hour with the results I've gotten, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the GeIL RAM was causing or helping to cause the problem.

I was taking my 2.6C out of the blister pack and it tryed to jump out, I caught it but it bent s few pins, I just got a big magnifying glass and straightened them out and installed it, its been folding fine 24/7 for awhile at a little over 3ghz air cooling

if the repairing or shipping of it to u didn't dmage it in any way that cpu should be able to hit 300 FSB. Test it out in the main rig. that sucker will fly like no tomorrow. sounds like either the mobo or ram. prolly nothing wrong with them. Try to set ur mem divider to lower than 1:1 and see if u push higher. if you can't push higher than I would have to say its the mobo.

the heck do you fit an agp card in a pci slot and ddr in an sdr slot?! i cant even fit ddr in a ddr slot half the time

Never underestimate the resourcefulness of stupid people wanting to do stupid things.

from www.twistedhardware.net :

"Hello, I bought some RIMM here yesterday, and it didn't fit in my mainboard. I cut out the correct nodges, but then I discovered that the RIMM's don't work. Can I exchange these against some working RIMM's...."

mb0084.jpg

Edited by ravix

rofl..cut out correct notches...that's great.

wow...so Sticky, you are saying that the blister pack sorta "Catapaulted" the cpu across the room? I read that description and get a really weird mental picture. I first read it and think that it just dropped, read it again and, well...

Oh man, you should see some of the kids in my computer repair class (all high school level) and you'd wanna kill yourself. I half wanted to the day we got CPUs and people forgot that ZIF socket stands for ZERO INSERTATION FORCE. Why can't people have common sense for 2 seconds to intsall a CPU?....And thats the story of how I became the TA of the class...

Ya, something happend like that in my Bus tech class(basically type all day, and work in Excel and dumb stuff like that). Anyway some senior (im a freshman) trys to turn on the computer, and well when it doesnt start. he starts cursing and yelling and that good stuff, the TEACHER COMES TO HIM AND HE START WONDERING WHY IT DOESNT WORK!.... I walk on over and plug the computer in.

Im pretty sure i got an A+ in that class :)

I once saw a kid do a great one. He took one of the 12V DC case fans that we all are so familiar with, and hard wired the thing into a 120V AC wall outlet. It tripped just about every breaker in the house. I'm suprised it didn't hurt the kid. Maybe it should have...he'd learn the lesson that way.