I Pulled A Boner

GTSticky

A couple of weeks ago, I bought Will Smith's 2.4c chip (he upgraded to water cooling and a new chip!)

So I'm showing my daughter how to build a computer when the blister pack holding the CPU gives a little flick and WHEEEE, there goes the CPU across the room onto the cement floor... 1 broken pin and 4 bent ones..

Ok, so I'm an idiot.

I go out and buy one retail since I spent 3 hours putting all the other components together. The retail CPU is pretty good, it works great with my OCZ ram and smokes my P4 3.0c cpu

So I send the chip to motherboardrepair.com - nice guy over there, Gary Headlee. He repairs the chip, briefly tests it and sends it back. I have nothing bad to say about Mr. Headlee, he did what he said he would do.

I put the chip into an Abit IS7-G with 1GB of newly-returned-from-RMA GEIL PC3500 CAS2 RAM. Now comes the problem.

As far as I can tell, it runs just fine at 200 fsb. As soon as it's put up to even a small overclock like 216 fsb it bombs Prime95...

Is this behavior consistent with your experience of a fried CPU?

Should I try to utilize this CPU in ANY capacity or just make it into a keychain (I'm not kidding)

Have you stopped laughing at me yet for dropping it in the first place? :lol:

Personally, I've had terrible experience with GeIL RAM at anything higher than 200fsb, except that the support man Mr. Wong, is very professional and helpful. The performance, however, lacks behind Corsair and OCZ.

My final question, should I bother to test this CPU in my main box where I currently have the retail 2.4? I don't really want to waste an hour with the results I've gotten, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the GeIL RAM was causing or helping to cause the problem.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow your abit only does 2.8 mine does 3.3 that sucks. I would be happy that it still works myself. I only consider something fried if i see smoke or it won't even P.O.S.T. Why don't you just grab the ram from your main rig and put it on the mobo with damaged one since that should take 20 minutes tops (i would say 5 if your case sides come off easy). :)

I'd blame the combination of the mobo and ram.

yeah, i dont think it is the CPU at all

as far as i know, a CPU doesn't give you much leadway at all, usually they work or don't work has been my experience, but i could be wrong

Have I told you guys I love you?

It's refreshing to go somewhere and receive advice instead of dispensing it. I appreciate your comments and will try the OCZ RAM in the abit board tomorrow morning. Tonight I'm resting.

Thanks again, I promise to let y'all know how it went. and thanks for not laughing at my misfortune, I expected cruelty and jeering ;)

If you heard what i did you would laugh at me lol. I had just resently fried some memory so i had it out and turned it on and of coarse i heard beeping since there was no ram. it turns out it was beeping from my watercooling kit and my one hose got kinked and it ended up destroying my cpu. but it's all good new 1800 jiuhb on the way.

you wanna talk about bone headed mistakes? jeez some of my customers are WAY worse than any of us. DDR in an SDR slot. socket A chips into socket 370 boards, heatsinks on backwards, bent pins on everything imaginable, AGP cards in PCI slots, not installing a heatsink on an athlon xp 3000+ (that was this morning), dropping hard drives, drop thier computers in the parkinglot, spill coffee on thier laptops... you name it they've done it. of course it was worse at compusa.