[SOLVED]Best 240GB SSD

IVIYTH0S

To my knowledge it's still working perfectly.

Indeed it is. It'll be moving to Intel SRT duty now that the 1 TB drive I bought from you showed up today. :cheers:

I'd say yes to the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe over the Agility 3, but only because I'm wary of OCZ memory and SSD's. :P

I think probably most all of us will A - recommend what we have confidence and experience with or B - recommend what fits into your budget. As Waco already pointed out shoot for the best pricing on $ per gigabyte because for the most part you'll probably be satisfied one way or another. I had a couple problems with the older OCZ SSD drives and swore them off until I got a hold of a good Agility that worked great and I actually ended up selling that one to Blue Panda. To my knowledge it's still working perfectly.

I went with Crucial SSD drives for my own personal rig, but I've used the Mushkin Chronos Enhanced in a couple recent builds and the end users seem really happy with them.

I'd also like to point out that speed benchmarks are just that when it comes to SSD performance. They are benchmarks. Regardless of whether you get the slowest most reliable SSD or one of the newer barn burners, the experience moving away from platter drives is astonishing.

My vertex 2 has been problem free (other than when I was struggling to enable AHCI on my board/drive, but other than that, peachy! It seems like all SSDs need to be happy is stable firmware.

I guess I can get on the waiting list for the Chronos or maybe wait until the last day of the Agility's rebate before making a final decision since I have had great luck with OCZ memory (overclocking aside, stock speeds have been solid :P )

Truth be told, my laptop will absolutely move up $1000 in performance since it has a 5400rpm drive and my desktop had *only* gone from a 10000rpm veloci to an SSD (which had a noticeably good increase in performance). My laptop will be floored by the improvement in speed (and battery life!)

Indeed it is. It'll be moving to Intel SRT duty now that the 1 TB drive I bought from you showed up today. :cheers:

I may consider running that in the future when I have a platform that's capable, maybe putting my velociraptor back in service (as it's my backup desktop drive that I only use to image my monthly backups to). I guess it's a proof of concept of hybrid hardrives and that all they needed was MUCH larger clusters of memory haha. Sucks they don't make 3.5" hybrid harddrives that have the adequate amount of caching SSD memory and still have a nice sized platter or two in there.

I may consider running that in the future when I have a platform that's capable, maybe putting my velociraptor back in service (as it's my backup desktop drive that I only use to image my monthly backups to). I guess it's a proof of concept of hybrid hardrives and that all they needed was MUCH larger clusters of memory haha. Sucks they don't make 3.5" hybrid harddrives that have the adequate amount of caching SSD memory and still have a nice sized platter or two in there.

I think the secret sauce is the Intel driver and the ability for it to use system memory. With my old first-generation Vertex clone and an older 750 GB Seagate 7200.10 it's just as fast at booting, loading games, etc, as my RAID 0 array of Vertex 3s.

I honestly thought I booted the wrong drives the first few times I fired it up. :lol: I haven't heard anything good about the physical hybrid drives at all.

I think the secret sauce is the Intel driver and the ability for it to use system memory. With my old first-generation Vertex clone and an older 750 GB Seagate 7200.10 it's just as fast at booting, loading games, etc, as my RAID 0 array of Vertex 3s.

I honestly thought I booted the wrong drives the first few times I fired it up. :lol: I haven't heard anything good about the physical hybrid drives at all.

I know the hybrids aren't at all comparable but do you think it's because they dont have enough high speed cache?

I know the hybrids aren't at all comparable but do you think it's because they dont have enough high speed cache?

I think it's due almost entirely to the caching algorithms. The Intel driver has a LOT more data available to it to prioritize certain reads/writes/etc than a dumb drive hanging off the SATA bus.

I think it's due almost entirely to the caching algorithms. The Intel driver has a LOT more data available to it to prioritize certain reads/writes/etc than a dumb drive hanging off the SATA bus.

I guess it's silly to invest research into getting them better, when hopefully we just get SSDs that cheap at this point.

The blasted Chronos still isn't shipped yet so I'm cancelling my order from Amazon and picking up the Agility from here for $210:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=557373&srkey=o261-8202#

I'll save $29, as I hate waiting needlessly and I can't see the Agility different than the Chronos in actual usage.

The blasted Chronos still isn't shipped yet so I'm cancelling my order from Amazon and picking up the Agility from here for $210:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=557373&srkey=o261-8202#

I'll save $29, as I hate waiting needlessly and I can't see the Agility different than the Chronos in actual usage.

they are the same SSD.. SandForce controller... and i am pretty positive they are even the same exactly model SandForce controller..

they are the same SSD.. SandForce controller... and i am pretty positive they are even the same exactly model SandForce controller..

Neg - Agility is asynchronous while Vertex is synchronous ...if performance is what you want than you want Synchronous. The Vertex 3 is better.

Some benches if you need

Next Page shows the gap more

You can keep clicking from there.

Really it is not a huge deal which SF drive you pick as most of the performance difference isn't really perceivable to us ...not to mention there really is no clear cut winner. Just because an SSD wins one category doesn't exclude it from being last in another. I say be happy with your Vertex 3.

Btw, nice to see another Ruroni Kenshin fan.

• Like 1

Ugh Agility 3 is backordered on Tiger (just got the message a couple days ago, I may be looking again)

as for being asynchronous, this is coming from a platter 5400rpm drive, it still will be amazing even if it isn't cutting edge. real life performance probably would be identical between them