HTPC Build

GuJuMaN89

been out of the loop for awhile, last system i built was when the AMD FX-55 chip was the best haha

anyways, i want to build myself a HTPC...i want it to be able to do the following:

1. connect to my samsung smart tv via HDMI

2. play blu-ray in the best quality possible

3. play 3-d movies

4. connect to my home audio system (5.1 surround sound) so the best audio quality possible too (possible thru hdmi?)

dont really know how much this will cost, but im trying to stay under $800, cheaper the better but i do not want to sacrifice HD playback quality, 3-d playback quality, and audio playback quality, those are the most important to me.

also, if i can control it with my remote that would be badass too.

Edited by GuJuMaN89

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 800 bucks, I am trying to get you a totally passive pc which means it will be dead silent.

I will have my full build list up for you in a bit, but first I want to ask a few questions.

1. Does the case have to be small (e.g. about the size of two shoe boxes stuck together) ?

2. Will you be storing movies on the hard drive, or will you only be using blu ray disks?

3. you are asking for a remote, but would a small wireless keyboard with media controls work for you? Or does it have to be similar to a tv remote?

4. Will you be running any cable tv to it?

5. Are you speakers really high end and require a dedicated sound card, or are you happy with on board audio? Or are you somewhere in the middle?

6. Do aesthetics matter?

And lastly 7. Will you be using it for anything other than an HTPC? I would hate for you to be running crysis 2 and then wonder why the game can not run at max settings ;)

For 800 bucks, I am trying to get you a totally passive pc which means it will be dead silent.

I will have my full build list up for you in a bit, but first I want to ask a few questions.

1. Does the case have to be small (e.g. about the size of two shoe boxes stuck together) ?

2. Will you be storing movies on the hard drive, or will you only be using blu ray disks?

3. you are asking for a remote, but would a small wireless keyboard with media controls work for you? Or does it have to be similar to a tv remote?

4. Will you be running any cable tv to it?

5. Are you speakers really high end and require a dedicated sound card, or are you happy with on board audio? Or are you somewhere in the middle?

6. Do aesthetics matter?

And lastly 7. Will you be using it for anything other than an HTPC? I would hate for you to be running crysis 2 and then wonder why the game can not run at max settings ;)

1. ideally i want the case the same size as a A/V reciever

2. yes i will be storing movies as well as using blu-ray disks

3. i was hoping i could get an IR reciever installed in the computer so i can use my logitech remote with it (if i cant its ok, i have a few spare wireless KB/mouses)

4. nope, i have fiber optic cable already

5. i prefer to have the highest audio possible

6. not really, just want it to be plain and black

7. nope, it will not be used for gaming at all...just watching movies, browsing the net, and burning blu-rays.

As far as audio,HDMI will pass lossless audio (DTS HD Master Audio & Dolby True HD) plus carry video signals.Nice all in one.

If you have an older a/v receiver w/out HDMI,optical or coaxial is your only way and end up with compressed/core DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1

Just FYI, your memory link takes you directly to the mobo page.

I would just be wary of that case, it looks like some people are having trouble with with it. Maybe ditch the SSD and get a more robust case?