sword_fish

These 2 x 2GB RAM modules

somebody asked me for help with his new sets of RAMs. (that was from our local forums then i brought it here for comments/opinions from the experts.)

he bought these 2 x 2GB (Kingston), his concern was; why it shows only 2GB in total. upon asking that guy everything that i can think of that might cause the issue, i found out that he got these specific RAM modules;

Module 1 and Module 2

looking closely then i found there's something different between the two modules specs / appearance wise. (noted the their values under Refresh to active/Refresh Command Time(tRFCmin))

and here's his mobo btw.

is there such a conflict or anything running those 'alleged' different RAMs @ dual channel mode that caused the missing 2GB?

my thanks in advance.

Cool so have they been individually checked yet? To make sure both work and then try different combinations of dimm slots. Ie a1 and b1 or a2 and b2 but only once you know both sticks of ram work.

One is single sided the other is double sided from looking at it, meaning one is based on 256 bit memory chips while the other is double row 128 bit which means it could have the double row on one side of the chips.

It should still be able to show 4gb of ram unless a module or memory slots on the mother board are bad.

when he try some other modules,like borrowing from friends than you now something.

never tried so far.

Cool so have they been individually checked yet? To make sure both work and then try different combinations of dimm slots. Ie a1 and b1 or a2 and b2 but only once you know both sticks of ram work.

both sticks works when tried individually.

One is single sided the other is double sided from looking at it, meaning one is based on 256 bit memory chips while the other is double row 128 bit which means it could have the double row on one side of the chips.

It should still be able to show 4gb of ram unless a module or memory slots on the mother board are bad.

those difference between the two sticks ( one being single sided and the other with a double plus their values with the tRFCmin ) made me think if there's something to do with mobo's dual channel config/capability and it might be causing that such RAM volume error. and how come it boots wherein those 2 DIMMs aren't 'identical' which is required afaik for a dual channel mode/configs. that's what i understood here and you may correct me if i'm wrong cause that's one thing i want to find out/learn more with.

i'm still talking with this guy at the other forums and waiting for his replies. i will post everything for more infos i can get to let you know. thanks!

Might be a problem with memory controller which is not supporting dual channel setup. :dunno:

Edited by d6bmg

Maybe try switching to ganged mode in BIOS? If they're using different memory interfaces, maybe they will both work.. Just not in dual-channel mode, which I believe is essentially unganged mode. I may have my terminology mixed up, I'm on my first cup of coffee.

Maybe try switching to ganged mode in BIOS? If they're using different memory interfaces, maybe they will both work.. Just not in dual-channel mode, which I believe is essentially unganged mode. I may have my terminology mixed up, I'm on my first cup of coffee.

worth to try that ganged thingy i guess, i was searching for anything that could probably link with the dual channel thing and found it was mentioned with this Wiki article. but idk if he had the guts/knowledge to play around with his BIOS, i can tell that he's much noobier than i do. true that i was :blink: and kinda lost dealing with his issue/s, he approached and i just want to help somehow. seems he's that shy to bring himself that issue here :dunno: and i was that thankful to all of you guys for bearing with this. :happy:

but that guy never returned since last night, still waiting for answers with those questions i throw ed.

i just asked his complete system specs and he just missed the PSU. cause what i knew was; he just bought a new mobo, GPU and that set of RAMs which runs with an intel e2180 dual core.

If he is running X58 platform, if the heatsink is too tight it causes this problem. How about posting all his system specs.

Edited by Drdeath