Sign in to follow this  
Boinker

watercooling woes

Hey guys. Want to see if anyone has had this issue before or knows how to fix it. Im using 3 gt 480s with ek fc480 waterblocks with an ek parallel sli bridge and i can't seem to get the system to bleed and stay that way. I noticed this when i booted up and the system was running ok but the top gpu was running a bit hot. I figured it was not bleed out all the way and should just let it do its thing and eventually the top gpu was running 98c and the bottom 2 were operating at on 45. Shut the system down and pulled the cards, turned them all sideways and what not and that fixed it for a while. Eventually after playing around the same issue occurred.

Anyone have any suggestions before i just take everything back out and go back to watercooling again.

Thanks in advance. Boinker.

You're confusing me with your 2nd sentence. At any way, there's prob something wrong with your top card.

Stupid spell check. Ment to say go back to air cooling again. But then i would have to deal with the noise from the computer and the noise from my wife about The noise from the computer. :lol:

the top card has been in the previous watercooling loop that i was using and ran at 50c under load all day long. I didn't take it apart so Im sure it has to do with air being populated in the top card. Its just Im not sure how to get it out or prevent it.

Thanks for the reply el capitan.

Stupid spell check. Ment to say go back to air cooling again. But then i would have to deal with the noise from the computer and the noise from my wife about The noise from the computer. :lol:

:lol:

the top card has been in the previous watercooling loop that i was using and ran at 50c under load all day long. I didn't take it apart so Im sure it has to do with air being populated in the top card. Its just Im not sure how to get it out or prevent it.

I would go ahead and drain just the card loops.

Can you run them in series? The lower flow rate of running them in parallel might be what is allowing air to be trapped.

I went ahead and pulled the bridge out of the loop. The top card just does not want the air to leave so its not getting any flow at all. I took the top card out and you can blow through it freely. Its just as waco stated that the top card is full of air and the other ones are not. Oh well. I guess that can be blamed on the xspc pump res. Every time you get air out of the loop it introduces it back into the system so that is likely what is causing the issue. When i am payed next Im defiantly getting a new bay res at least. But for now just 2 way sli.

When i get my other case project underway ill get a serial sli bridge so i don't run into this again. Then hopefully 3 way sli will not be am issue. And the new res. Lol

I am currently bleeding out the system and realizing how much of a pile of junk this xspc res is again so the wait is on until i can play again.

Thanks for the replies waco and el capitan.

I have had trouble bleeding the 2-120 rad I installed on the top of my case when I had the pump operating off the cpu mobo connector with the bios setting at cpu thermal adjustment range. I then disabled the cpu setting and when on max flow the air just bubbled out in a few seconds.

I have to agree that it is a flow issue. The solution would be to add an additional pump to increase the flow, or run the pump at max, or run the pump off a fan controller to operate the pump just at the speed needed for no air to become present in the system and control the sound level and prolong the life of the pump. I just don't have much faith in pumps or fans lasting long which run continually at full speed. Finding the point when there is no air in the system is just a matter of operating on low speed and step by step increasing untill no air is present.

Another idea is the changing from series loop to parallel loop, etc... A series loop will have the whole quantity of fluid in the entire loop, loose pressure along the loop, and have the temp increase along the loop. A parallel loop will see the quantity of fluid split between the branches, available pressure will split between the branches, and the temp of the fluid will be the same into both branches.

Before the new rad I never had any trouble with air in the system. I am running the new rad in series.

Just ran uingine heaven bench on the system they way its setup. Not sure if i have stated what all is in my loop but its an xspc pump/bay res with a switch mcp655. An xspc ex360. An xspc ex120. Ek fc480 waterblocks x2 swiftech apogee xt. And a bunch of scythe Pwm fans. The loop order is pump, cpu, 120 rad, gpu blocks, 360 rad, res.

I let it operate for a while and it seems adding the second radiator has helped.temps out alot. Im not seeing the same overheating issue as i was before at a reasonable ambient. Between 65 and 70 i think. Its nice outside tonight. :D think i got at least 2 way sli undr control with the heat these monsters put out. Im definatly going to wait until my custom case is built before putting tge third one in. Gtx480's just put out way to much heat for one 360 radiator to handle properly. Thanks for the replies guys. Scores from uingine are below.

Stock videa card run: 1566

Stock peak video card temp: 51 - 52c

overclocked video card run: 1811

Overclocked video cards max temp: 56 - 58c

Did some more testing. The extra radiator definatly benefited the system. With the processor at stock clocks the loop temp never gets out of hand while running prime 95 with uingine heaven operating on the other monitor. With the video cards overclocked the cpu temp never got over 55c and both video cards hovered around 58c. can fit anymore radiators in it now so to hurry up and wait for the case project to get done. Lol.

Another time I seen air introduced into the loop was the time I was operating the sys at low fluid level on the res. Despite the fluid being above the pump inlet the suction would pull air in also. This time I would hear gurgling sounds from the pump and see the bubbles flow along the tubes. The time on installing the new rad was not like this though because it was the first fill of the sys. The fluid line in the rad was full and the line out was trickling the fluid.

Yeah slick i can see that. The xspc res that i have is just junk. Whatever air that goes into the res gets put right back into the system. Oh well. Save the three way sli for cuatom case and dual high flow radiators Lol.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsacdu5refor1.html

That is a terrible design for a res.

I have the Dual bay DD res, and it has the ports on opposite sides with a wall between to keep it from sucking in its own bubbles. Makes it self bleeding.