Cooler suggestion for i7 2600K

Hi all, I want to find a cooler for i7 2600K processor that below $50, the processor is less likely to overclock, does anyone have suggestion about the cooler I can choose?

I have seen many forum says about the i7 2600K with Hyper 212+ can OC to 4.5GHz, I am not sure about this, hope someone can enlighten me...

Thanks in advancethanks.gif

It depends on what you wants your temps at. Most i7 2600K's can get to 4.6GHz at around 1.35V's. A Hyper 212+ in push/pull will probably have max load core temps up to 78C - 80C. A more higher-end cooler will probably bring it down to 72C - 74C. When you get to something like a H100, probably in the 68C - 70C range.

also your ambient temps could make difference, unless your room was air conditioned. we shared almost the same (tropics) climate / weather conditions i believe and it be much better to grab a much 'beefier' air cooler for your CPU if you dont have the aircon imo.

if there's enough room in your case, the Noctua NH-D14 would be for you. non of those OCrs i knew here got disappointed with their D14s so far under 30sh ambient.

It depends on what you wants your temps at. Most i7 2600K's can get to 4.6GHz at around 1.35V's. A Hyper 212+ in push/pull will probably have max load core temps up to 78C - 80C. A more higher-end cooler will probably bring it down to 72C - 74C. When you get to something like a H100, probably in the 68C - 70C range.

Will it too high for a Intel processor go for 80C? The processor will not use for overclock, maybe my friend will overclock it to try the taste of overclock.

also your ambient temps could make difference, unless your room was air conditioned. we shared almost the same (tropics) climate / weather conditions i believe and it be much better to grab a much 'beefier' air cooler for your CPU if you dont have the aircon imo.

if there's enough room in your case, the Noctua NH-D14 would be for you. non of those OCrs i knew here got disappointed with their D14s so far under 30sh ambient.

Oh you are from Philippines, we have almost same ambient and it is very hotsad.gif

And ya, the room is air conditioned so the ambient will not so high...My friend is going to find a low cost cooler so the budget will be set to below $150...

He's using a 400R so yes the NH-D14 would fit. But his budget is <$50

I'd Suggest you get the NZXT Havik 140 since it's a superb cooler and cost $60 but that price tag is worthed IMO.

But you can't go wrong with the Hyper212+

That is my friend computer and not mine, sorry about the confusion to you, if I not remember wrong he is using what Silverstone SST casing, cant remember what casing he is using. Since he is not use the processor to overclock, so I think a normal cooler would be enough for he, what is the temperature of Hyper 212+ can get if i7 2600K is no overclock? And how is the noise it produce?

Guest Black gold saw.

My 2500K does 4.5GHZ @ 1.325V with a hyper 212+ And MX-4 TIM and does 33C idle and 67C max load.

Will it too high for a Intel processor go for 80C? The processor will not use for overclock, maybe my friend will overclock it to try the taste of overclock.

Oh you are from Philippines, we have almost same ambient and it is very hotsad.gif

And ya, the room is air conditioned so the ambient will not so high...My friend is going to find a low cost cooler so the budget will be set to below $150...

That is my friend computer and not mine, sorry about the confusion to you, if I not remember wrong he is using what Silverstone SST casing, cant remember what casing he is using. Since he is not use the processor to overclock, so I think a normal cooler would be enough for he, what is the temperature of Hyper 212+ can get if i7 2600K is no overclock? And how is the noise it produce?

80C isn't something to worry much about. Although it is rather 'hot' and wouldn't be an ideal comfort zone, it's still well below overheat. Personally I don't think you'd be reaching 80C with the Hyper212 unless you're running Prime95..

If your friend isn't going to do any overclocking, the included cooler should be fine. If he's going to do some mild overclocking (say 4-4.3GHz), getting a Hyper212 wouldn't be a bad Idea. It'd be running at probably 65-70C MAX, 60-65C when gaming. Even at 4.8GHz the Hyper212 can still do it's job but that's in a relatively low ambient and IMO is pushing it to the limit.

Bottom line, get the Hyper212 so that your friend can do some mild overclocking. Then when he's interested in pushing his 2600K to the limit, get something like the D14/H100 or even a full on WC setup :biggrin:

80C isn't something to worry much about. Although it is rather 'hot' and wouldn't be an ideal comfort zone, it's still well below overheat. Personally I don't think you'd be reaching 80C with the Hyper212 unless you're running Prime95..

If your friend isn't going to do any overclocking, the included cooler should be fine. If he's going to do some mild overclocking (say 4-4.3GHz), getting a Hyper212 wouldn't be a bad Idea. It'd be running at probably 65-70C MAX, 60-65C when gaming. Even at 4.8GHz the Hyper212 can still do it's job but that's in a relatively low ambient and IMO is pushing it to the limit.

Bottom line, get the Hyper212 so that your friend can do some mild overclocking. Then when he's interested in pushing his 2600K to the limit, get something like the D14/H100 or even a full on WC setup :biggrin:

I am still hard to believe that i7 2600K have such overclock capability, a hyper 212 can allow it pass 4.0GHz barrier, I have a Phenom II with Noctua cooler and it still cant pass 4.0GHz, it stuck on 3.92GHz and never go up again even I try to add more voltage.

Anyway, my friend is currently using computer as 3ds max rendering, is it any bad if his computer is running on 4.0GHz all the time with hyper 212 if he decide to overclock it a bit? How much performance will he gain if the processor is overclock to 4.0GHz?

I am still hard to believe that i7 2600K have such overclock capability, a hyper 212 can allow it pass 4.0GHz barrier, I have a Phenom II with Noctua cooler and it still cant pass 4.0GHz, it stuck on 3.92GHz and never go up again even I try to add more voltage.

Anyway, my friend is currently using computer as 3ds max rendering, is it any bad if his computer is running on 4.0GHz all the time with hyper 212 if he decide to overclock it a bit? How much performance will he gain if the processor is overclock to 4.0GHz?

Ek.. What can I tell you.. It's true that it's hard to believe at first but once you use it in person, you'd be amazed on how far it can go ;)

And you can't compare the Overclocking of Phenom II with SB.. That's like comparing a brand new car with one that's 8 years out of date :P

I don't have a screenshot atm but here's what I found:

4105_501_asus_p8z68_v_pro_intel_z68_motherboard_review.png

Source

Grab NZXT Havik 140 which priced ~$60. Spend $10 more than your predefined budget and you will get a cooler equivalent to Noctua D14.

Just read some review and this cooler is quite nice, but I cant get any price detail of this cooler on my country, my country is very hard to get some computer part, I think this cooler is also one of them, the shipping fees will be expensive if I order it from other countrycry.gif

Ek.. What can I tell you.. It's true that it's hard to believe at first but once you use it in person, you'd be amazed on how far it can go ;)

And you can't compare the Overclocking of Phenom II with SB.. That's like comparing a brand new car with one that's 8 years out of date :P

I don't have a screenshot atm but here's what I found:

4105_501_asus_p8z68_v_pro_intel_z68_motherboard_review.png

Source

Indeed, I have go many forum and see many them overclock their 2500K or 2600K beyond 4.2GHz with a cooler that less than $50, looks like that I have a 8 years old car in my home now.lol2.gif Now it is a litter bit regret about getting the AMD processor, too bad that sandy bridge havent even come out when I purchase this computer. I am a AMD fans but I am very interested in i7 2600K now.pinch.gif I am thinking to get the Trinity APU of AMD, hope the Trinity APU wont let us down, if it does, I will direct go for Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge.tongue.gif