New GPU, hanging startup

Narcotic

I recently installed a new GPU (as the title says) and my startup hangs at a screen with the following prompt:

Press [Tab] to switch to POST or [DEL] to run BIOS setup.

Neither the Tab key or DEL key have responses, and the only way I actually get a startup is immediately when I press the power button I rapidly press Tab.

Note: Newly installed GPU is GIGABYTE AMD Radeon HD 6850.

So, is this a problem with the current BIOS version being old or something else?

AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE AMD Radeon HD 6850

Seagate 1TB Barracuda HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium

Sorry, I didn't post before because it was working fine before I changed the GPU.

Motherboard and power supply?

I could see this happening if there wasn't enough power to the GPU or if there was a BIOS bug (less likely, but if we know the motherboard, we can check)

Could you post the exact model of the PSU? The amps on the 12v rail(s) are as important as the overall max wattage.

This card needs a 6-pin PCI-E power connector as well, did make sure that is plugged in and secure?

Also make sure the gold contacts on the card & the PCI-E slot you are plugging it into is clean and free of dust.

Good luck! ;)

Edited by 90sgamer

I copy-pasted my rig hardware from another post I had, I thought my mobo was included, apologies.

msi K9N6PGM2 -V2 (Not the best, but it was cheap and it works)

When I was looking into this GPU it was suggested that I buy a new power supply, but when I ran the power suggestion program it said I had enough power.

I've kept the crappy OEM PSU (only 350W), but I was just testing if it would run, I'm still willing to buy a new one.

Will my old, low-power PSU damage my GPU?

I copy-pasted my rig hardware from another post I had, I thought my mobo was included, apologies.

msi K9N6PGM2 -V2 (Not the best, but it was cheap and it works)

When I was looking into this GPU it was suggested that I buy a new power supply, but when I ran the power suggestion program it said I had enough power.

I've kept the crappy OEM PSU (only 350W), but I was just testing if it would run, I'm still willing to buy a new one.

Will my old, low-power PSU damage my GPU?

that psu is far too weak.

as for will it damage your gpu, the psu can overload and blow a capacitor or many other things, causing it to send a power spike, so yes, a psu that fails can often take out the rest of a computer with a power surge/spike

i would upgrade the psu asap

i wonder what program was that.

HD 6850's system requirements

a generic 500W PSU can only give you a mere cheap 250W of power, think how much your 350W can suffice.

here's an old yet interesting test done with a 500W generic PSU if you haven't crossed with it somehow.

i'd rather dont use the rig until i changed the PSU with a branded one imo.

i wonder what program was that.

HD 6850's system requirements

a generic 500W PSU can only give you a mere cheap 250W of power, think how much your 350W can suffice.

here's an old yet interesting test done with a 500W generic PSU if you haven't crossed with it somehow.

i'd rather dont use the rig until i changed the PSU with a branded one imo.

Yeah, I was just testing the GPU and making sure it worked. I lined up a PSU to buy when I bought the GPU, but it doesn't seem to be on sale anymore.

Alas, I'm looking for a decent 750W one, but do you think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035 is powerful enough? (Almost double)

It's not a name like Corsair or Cooler Master, but that price is pretty unbeatable.

Also, do you think this lack of a strong PSU is the core to my problem?

i never heard that brand tbh, i'll be leaning with the trusted/popular ones instead.

skimp on the PSU or it will :doh: on you :P

this thread might help you somehow choosing your next PSU.

Also, do you think this lack of a strong PSU is the core to my problem?

there's no doubt it was. it's way too weak to run your GPU like what they said.

Edited by sword_fish

i never heard that brand tbh, i'll be leaning with the trusted/popular ones instead.

skimp on the PSU or it will :doh: on you :P

this thread might help you somehow choosing your next PSU.

That's very true haha.. Well, that thread you suggested is actually for cases, not PSU.