NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

So, so much for waiting for the 4GB ones? :P

Yeah, I decided that there's no need for more than 2GB's VRAM. It feels no different with my GTX 580 3GB's at 2560 x 1600 than with my GTX 580 1.5GB's at 2560 x 1600. Besides, I'll switch to a single GTX 685 when that comes out near the end of the year.

I'm getting close to setting off my breaker in my study. Eventually I'll probably end up selling my 2nd HD 7970 and the other two GTX 580's after I sell two right now. Just want to run some personal benchmarks with two GTX 580's, be it 1.5GB's or 3GB's, two GTX 680's, and two HD 7970's at 2560 x 1600 and 1900 x 1200 resolution... maybe even 5760 x 1200 resolution if I feel up for it.

My gripe is that no one really benchmarks these cards for comparisons at the highest 24/7 overclocks. Max overclock at stock is okay, but 1300mV's for AMD cards and 1100mV's for Nvidia cards (up to 1212mV's depending on the cards) have been pretty safe (at least watercooled). Plus, at this price range, the ones who do buy these cards opt for better cooling, anyway.

So do I swap my 570 for this or do I get an Ivy bridge new board and another 570? Hmmmm

How's your performance for things now?? Are you suffering for frames on any games??

I played a few hours of Skyrim last night on the new ASUS GTX 680......WOW! The visual difference from 6970 CF to the GTX 680 was without a doubt noticeable! I couldn't believe how different the game looked. But, I will say that I do think the problems that AMD drivers in general, as well as CF, and Skyrim definitely played a role in my observations. So I am not trying to say that the GTX 680 > 6970 CF....yet ;) But, in Skyrim, the difference is quite obvious!

I guess it looked better? :P What exactly changed?? Smoothness??

Maybe throw up some comparison screenshots if you may? (or give me your 6970s and we'll trade screenshots :rolleyes: )

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I guess it looked better? :P What exactly changed?? Smoothness??

I can't imagine changing cards would really change how it looked...but going from Crossfire to a single card probably helped smoothness more than anything else. I got a LOT better FPS with only 2 GPUs running versus 4 with my old setup. This 5970 runs it absolutely perfectly even maxed out though. :lol: