[WTS] Onion's car fund!

Onion

Damn, that's terrible for the GTI. :lol: My poor Cobalt got 25-27 in mixed driving and over 35 MPG in just highway driving. :wacko: I would have expected the GTI to be near that considering the similar power, engine, and weight.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, that's terrible for the GTI. :lol: My poor Cobalt got 25-27 in mixed driving and over 35 MPG in just highway driving. :wacko: I would have expected the GTI to be near that considering the similar power, engine, and weight.

How much did the cobalt weigh? How did you drive it? Whenever I take it out, it redlines at least once... So... Yeah. I trade money for fun, it's not all that bad.

I generally don't drive with a light foot at all. :lol: I don't recall the curb weight off the top of my head but it was just north of 3000 pounds IIRC.

Is the GTI a stick? I know automatics tend to eat a lot more fuel than manuals especially in city driving.

I generally don't drive with a light foot at all. :lol: I don't recall the curb weight off the top of my head but it was just north of 3000 pounds IIRC.

Is the GTI a stick? I know automatics tend to eat a lot more fuel than manuals especially in city driving.

I wanted to get a stick GTI but I ended up test driving a DSG one and I fell in love with it. I especially like that sweet exhaust gurgle it makes when it shifts. It's so smooth, even when I'm performing "spirited" driving lol. The GTI is a bit heavier, if I remember correctly it's around 3300 lbs, plus gas, plus me. Add another 260 pounds for my weight and that of the gasoline combined (full tank). That brings us up to 3560 lbs, which is kind of heavy for a car that size.

Edited by Onion

Google says just over 3000 pounds. I'm betting the auto is what killed your MPG more than anything else.

It's 3100 for the stick, 3308 for the auto. The auto and my foot are the two biggest problems. The gas mileage wouldn't be that much better with a stick lol. If anything, it'd be worse, because with the auto sometimes I just put it in drive and pootle around down instead of shifting at 3 grand.

Could be worse, with my WRX I can barely squeek out 26 if I drive 65 very very very responsibly. Gas mileage/prices, the bane of all auto enthusiasts.

I wish we were in the 70s when gas didn't matter because it was so damn cheap... :(

I wanted to get a stick GTI but I ended up test driving a DSG one and I fell in love with it. I especially like that sweet exhaust gurgle it makes when it shifts. It's so smooth, even when I'm performing "spirited" driving lol. The GTI is a bit heavier, if I remember correctly it's around 3300 lbs, plus gas, plus me. Add another 260 pounds for my weight and that of the gasoline combined (full tank). That brings us up to 3560 lbs, which is kind of heavy for a car that size.

You weigh 260 at 17? Diet much? :lol: No offense intended. :)

You weigh 260 at 17? Diet much? :lol: No offense intended. :)

Gasoline and me weigh 260 combined lol. I weigh 160. And I turned 18 in November lol.

Edited by Onion