[WTS] Onion's car fund!

Onion

I doubt I'll be getting a big bike, I can't afford another 5k on top of the price of the car. If anything I'll get a cheap 250 or something and occasionally borrow someone's bike just to get a feel for it, but that's still a maybe. Thanks a lot for the info though. And I'm glad you enjoyed the drive to the keys, it's great! I used to take the 745i every now and then and just drive there to relax. The drive is my favorite part of going to the keys lol.

By the way, I've read complaints from people with the s2k and Miata. They say it isn't as rigid as a normal car because it's a convertible. Anything I could do to fix that?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninja 250 is an amazing first bike. Not the fastest thing around, but everything screams perfect for a first time owner - low seat, forgiving throttle control, extremely nimble, and most importantly it inspires confidence. The only thing more dangerous then a guy on a race bike that doesn't know how to ride, is a guy on a race bike who doesn't know how to ride PLUS is scared of his own bike. You can get them in great condition for ~2k-2500, they get almost 60mpg, and hold their value extremely well - there are always new riders needing safe bikes :). That works out great, since you can ride it for a year or two to learn the basics and get comfortable before selling it for something larger if you want. Do NOT try to start with a modern 600+ sportsbike. People don't realize that 600s of today make the same horsepower as literbikes did in the 90's. They are pure bred race machines that run mid 10s stock and will easily get you in trouble if you're not careful. FWIW my bike is an 07 put 106hp to the wheel stock, and weighs around 400lbs. That's some serious power:weight, and they only got faster after 08.

Take a quick look on cycletrader and look at the TONS of literbikes for sale with under 3,000 miles. People buy them as first bikes, have near death experiences, then sell them.

As a daily rider in FL though for the last 4 years on my zx6r (over 25,000 miles of street riding), I can say that while the weather is beautiful, the other drivers have no respect for bikers. If you go for a bike, no matter what kind, get an aftermarket slip-on so at least when the soccor mom on her iPhone doesn't see you when changing lanes with no turn signal, she may hear you before she does and not kill you. I can't count the number of mini-vans who have jumped in front of me :lol:.

I'm getting rid of my zx6 for something bigger and better for long trips, because to be honest I ruined it making it track ready when all I do is ride it on public roads. Now its loud as hell, uncomfortable, unruley, and screams down I4 at 8k-9K rpms because of the aggressive gearing...I'm starting to take longer rides with friends and I'm getting tired of all the hassle...

Any bike related questions just let me know.

It will vary a lot depending on your experience. Coming from a riding background since I was a kid, it was only a few weeks or so before I was comfortable, and maybe six months before everything was second nature and I could really start enjoying it. They are race machines first and foremost though, so even though I've been riding my 600 from bone stock in 07 to tons of mods 4 years later, both on the street and the track, I can still say I can't ride it to anywhere near its full potential yet. It's a handful at anything over 10k RPMs, and will float the front wheel in third gear.

I would never suggest my bike to a new rider because some of its mods make it more difficult to ride, like the removed secondary butterflies that make the throttle more twitchy and the steep gearing that effects everything - making it especially sensitive to the throttle while turning, a total PITA on wet roads, and makes first gear almost useless. In stock form its not bad as long as you keep the RPMs down - the good thing about 600s is that under 8k they aren't making a ton of power, so as long as you don't ride like a show-off or a Fast and the Furious jerk you can stay in a comfortable, safe power range.

You can get a good condition, low miles 600 for around 5K cash, or 6-7K through a dealer. The 636 (03-06, I suggest 05 for best price:features) are incredibly popular - maybe the most popular 600s ever - and can be found for around 4K cash. I will be trading in my bike as soon as I find a dealer with the specific bike I want, since because of how I financed it (one big credit line with a bunch of gear, parts, and maintenence fees) I technically owe ~2k more then its worth. I wouldn't be able to get enough to pay it off and get the title, but can trade it in and roll the negative equity into a newer, lower interest loan.

I still don't suggest a Supersport for your first bike though, and really think people who don't have riding experience should start on something like the Ninja 250 for at least a year first. It is WAY cheaper both to own and repair if its dropped, a lot safer, easier to ride, and still quick enough to have fun.

PS: I spent all of last week in Miami for Spring Break with my GF, and I would hate to ride a bike on a daily basis there. Drivers in Miami are even worse then the old clueless ones I deal with here in Orlando. The ride from Miami to the Keys though was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Hwy 1 is a work of art and I wished I was on my bike instead of the POS rental car.

+1

I have a 2001 EX250 and may actually "upgrade" to another and sell my current one to my friend. All I'd upgrade to a 600 for is fuel injection, which they kits for to get rid of the nasty carburetor that America insisted on still keeping with the long awaited face lift (While Japan and Europe are smart and they put fuel injection on their 250s 2008 and newer).

I'm curious Puck, do you remember what your zx6 got mileage wise before all the gearing down?? I'm interested to know what I modern 600 can get (unless you've never attempted to get a good MPG tank run)

I agree with everything else (except that the 636 is carbureted is it not?? That'd have me likely to get the next generation newer if I ever went bigger but I know 600 will be the biggest I go because I just will make a point to keep the weight off so I don't need any bigger)

I doubt I'll be getting a big bike, I can't afford another 5k on top of the price of the car. If anything I'll get a cheap 250 or something and occasionally borrow someone's bike just to get a feel for it, but that's still a maybe. Thanks a lot for the info though. And I'm glad you enjoyed the drive to the keys, it's great! I used to take the 745i every now and then and just drive there to relax. The drive is my favorite part of going to the keys lol.

By the way, I've read complaints from people with the s2k and Miata. They say it isn't as rigid as a normal car because it's a convertible. Anything I could do to fix that?

I highly recommend a little EX, people can hate on them but they're really a fun nimble little gas sipping masterpiece. I've had dudes with 750s (that never rode one) ask me if it's slow like a moped, then they drive it and rave lol

I scored mine for $1500 with 6800 miles two seasons ago and now have a little over 12K on it....that also came with tires on the bike, brand new tires off the bike, a padded armor jacket and a helmet (which got stolen :cry: )

I'd definitely think a mod friendly 4banger with decent MPG and a 250 ninja are the best pairing

+1

I have a 2001 EX250 and may actually "upgrade" to another and sell my current one to my friend. All I'd upgrade to a 600 for is fuel injection, which they kits for to get rid of the nasty carburetor that America insisted on still keeping with the long awaited face lift (While Japan and Europe are smart and they put fuel injection on their 250s 2008 and newer).

I'm curious Puck, do you remember what your zx6 got mileage wise before all the gearing down?? I'm interested to know what I modern 600 can get (unless you've never attempted to get a good MPG tank run)

I agree with everything else (except that the 636 is carbureted is it not?? That'd have me likely to get the next generation newer if I ever went bigger but I know 600 will be the biggest I go because I just will make a point to keep the weight off so I don't need any bigger)

I highly recommend a little EX, people can hate on them but they're really a fun nimble little gas sipping masterpiece. I've had dudes with 750s (that never rode one) ask me if it's slow like a moped, then they drive it and rave lol

I scored mine for $1500 with 6800 miles two seasons ago and now have a little over 12K on it....that also came with tires on the bike, brand new tires off the bike, a padded armor jacket and a helmet (which got stolen :cry: )

I'd definitely think a mod friendly 4banger with decent MPG and a 250 ninja are the best pairing

On a 6 hr ride, all highway, I was getting 46mpg highway with just a slipon muffler. That is best case scenario, doing a steady ~70mph highway, calculated using gas pump receipt and Odometer (accurate within 1mpg). Mixed mpg was 38 stock, but I ride it pretty hard. After all the mods, tuning, and gearing my mixed mpg is down to 32, no clue on highway now but if I had to guess it would be around 38. Not great for a modern 600, and in all honesty I kind of ruined the bike as a daily rider with all the track mods I did.

FWIW I almost got a 250 Ninja after riding a friends. They are incredibly nimble, and I wanted to make it a track bike. Watching a WERA coach spank 600s and 750s around a tight track on a 250 put the icing on the cake. The newer ones look killer too! Definitely the best starter bike IMO - and if you live in a busy city, probably the best bike overall for commuting.

636 is also a FI bike BTW :).

Well, one of my dad's employees is in critical condition after getting knocked off her scooter. I'm staying in Florida, and I somewhat value my life so I'll stick to a car. Either a Miata or a fox body mustang.

i never raced except at the red lights, but I gotta say, I really miss the ride of the 1979 280z I once had. I also miss the 3 15" jlaudio w6 woofers I had in it! The cars I've had since have been faster ('91 plymouth laser turbo, 94 mustang gt convertible, 99 mustang gt coupe limited) but it was a fun drive!

Edited by Fight Game

I drove a bored 5.4 supercharged mustang. 275s in the rear with 3.73 gears. Span the tires through fourth. So much fun lol, I want it!

Edited by Onion

Just remember that tires aren't cheap. :P

I probably left half the thread of the tires on the road when I did that 0-100 pull. :lol: It's good to drive a car with that much power though, you have to be easy with the throttle so you don't destroy your tires, so I'll be avoiding a lot of speeding tickets. :D