Who is poor?

I'm just going to come out with, I'm poor as dirt. And I get the feeling I'm one of few on this site. So I'm just wondering, how many of us are poor?

I got tossed out as a very young kid, and went back and forth for years between stable, good, bad and terrible financially. Wasn't until I enlisted that I found permanent stability. The money I had when I came home ended the homelessness for good and helped me find a decent job. No one hires a homeless kid: they assume its your own doing, but they do hire a vet. Still, I'm playing catch up for a lot of tough years so financially I'm pulling rabbits out of hats to have what I do. I'll be better off soon, once I get my old apartment leased out (paying for two places at once, my old place and the one I currently live at with the gf and her daughter.) But I still woby be rich.

So there's my story. Hopefully it helps others open up. Let us know, who here is poor. And if you live with parents, at least be the bill payer to say you're poor.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you aint alone man....

according to the Governments statistics most all of us live in Poverty... I know a lots of people who struggle.... I moved out on my own at 14 and its been ups and downs but nothing I;d take back...

I wasn't poor since 2007 (a couple of years after coming out of the military I was working odd jobs here and there), but you really have to make it your goal to do everything in your power to want to make a lot of money. Making money was never my goal until then. Now it's secondary to just enjoying what I've got - soon to be married, a new dog, and a good job. I also use the money to help support my mom, she hasn't worked since 2006.

When you get into the situation of wanting to make a lot of money, you have to realize that there's a lot of people out there wanting the same thing, but will do whatever it takes - lie, cheat, and steal. Almost everyone from hiring agencies, CEO's, HR, etc. I will never go that route, and the truth works just as well, if not better. Hope everyone can get out of the hole they're in, I know what it's like. I came to Boston with nothing more than $400 in my pocket to start over, and I can't believe how it turned out (I even asked to borrow money from my friends - which I would normally never do, but I never got anything since they were all as poor as me).

Poor but debt free. I have what i need and a bit extra, but still aren't far above the gov poverty line. But really the money doesn't make much dif to me. I have what i need, and a loving family and some good friends. Who needs the Lamborghini?

I'm poor but I'm a student. :lol:

Basically this! But, the woman has a pretty good job that allows me to finish up school, while serving at Outback. However, I am still amazed at how much money I make serving 4-6 hours every Fri, Sat, and Sun nights :biggrin:

Of course Im poor just look at my rig :P All jokes aside, Im not actually rich as most people here think - Just average with benefits

I don't think too many people here think you are rich Nyt. But, many here believe that your dad is doing just fine :whistling:

First World problems, Eh? This just in: If you have a computer and internet, you are NOT poor.

When you don't know where you will sleep tonight or where your next meal will come from, thats is poor. I'm not talking eating Ramen to save up for ME3, or being late on your car payment becuase your MMO subscription overdrafted your account.

There is a huge difference between poor, as most of the world sees it, and being below American Middle Class.

I was super poor until last year... now im just moderately poor... By government standards im going quite well i guess. But last several years didn't exactly go in my favor... at all... Lol, its taken me quite a while to get back on my feet and i still have quite a bit of debt to deal with.

YAY LIFE!

First World problems, Eh? This just in: If you have a computer and internet, you are NOT poor.

When you don't know where you will sleep tonight or where your next meal will come from, thats is poor. I'm not talking eating Ramen to save up for ME3, or being late on your car payment becuase your MMO subscription overdrafted your account.

There is a huge difference between poor, as most of the world sees it, and being below American Middle Class.

Isn't that actually called being destitute?? You really pulled all the stoppers to get specific with poor, poor is a bit more of a general term than what you described.

Perhaps we have no right to complain because we might have a roof over our head or food in our stomachs, but that doesn't mean we aren't still poor as well. Say what you will about being poor and owning a nice computer with internet, i dont know about you, but life isn't worth living if you can't have yourself a little fun every now and then, and sometimes the girlfriend isn't always around! teehee.gif Or too broke to goto the bar and hang out, but still able to pay the internet bill.

biggrin.gif

Edited by MercuryDoun