An SSD worth it?

aaron6581230

So even with generations of SSDs behind us, I still haven't given in and picked up an SSD due to costs. For the longest time, I considered the price-to-performance ratio to be too low.

I mean, I'd have to pay upwards of $140 for a measly 120GB or less. Maybe it's just the numbers that are talking to me, but I could never get myself to buy one, where 500GB+ HDDs go for less than $100.

So I want to ask you all with SSDs, how much did you pay for yours and was it worth it?

For all those who have been sticking to their HDDs like I have, why haven't you gone for one?

I switched back in 2009 and I've never looked back. Even when I paid $320 for my 128 GB SSD...it was worth it. The difference is literally night and day.

With SSD prices around $1/GB it's a no-brainer if you're tired of waiting for your HDD to stop crunching.

its worth it if: A) you don't care about lack of space or B) you don't like waiting for windows to boot 5minutes later or C) don't care about cost per GB ratio.

Alot of things have been fixed and figured out. SLC NAND will last for Petabytes of space where as MLC NAND (everything today) is good for like 10TB of writes. now if you use it all day as a data server it would take atlest a year or 2 before it goes bad. personally i only use a SDD drive because i hate waiting for things to load. if i had the money i would get a OCZ PCIE drive as a TEMP drive but it's not worth it for the cost.

Let me think. Pretty sure I got my 60 GB OCZ Vertex in early 2011. Put that in my laptop with its 3 GB of DDR2 RAM and 2 GHz dual core Turion, and it was loading some programs, like Firefox, as fast as my PC in the sig. The change is noticeable.

Your call if it's worth it. Next desktop build I'm going to fit one into the budget because it will be awesome. I noticed the difference from my old IDE drive in the Compaq I had to my current SATA-II Caviar Black drive. A good SATA-III SSD :D will be worth it to me.

I paid $400 for my 2 Vertex 2 60gb drives 2-3 years ago now. Just picked up a 3rd for $40 bucks from my friend.. I almost cried when i did it as he had no idea what i paid for them new a few years ago.

I will never give my SSD up, you will have to pry them from my cold dead PC if it fails. :lol:

The first time I used an SSD it not only change my computing experience but my computing style. Now I pay attention to what I keep on my PC. Gone is the ton of junk that never gets used and data that was just taking up space. I actually find my backup habits are better as I move data to external storage and my system is leaner and meaner. I have had to once or twice go back to spindle for some test on a system and I can tell you it was painful. Once you get the real experience an SSD can make on your system you will never go back, just like a good graphics card spoils you to onboard forever.

The first time I used an SSD it not only change my computing experience but my computing style. Now I pay attention to what I keep on my PC. Gone is the ton of junk that never gets used and data that was just taking up space. I actually find my backup habits are better as I move data to external storage and my system is leaner and meaner. I have had to once or twice go back to spindle for some test on a system and I can tell you it was painful. Once you get the real experience an SSD can make on your system you will never go back, just like a good graphics card spoils you to onboard forever.

I like that onboard analogy :)

How do you all feel about the wear leveling on these drives? I know it could be years before the drive itself fails, but it sort of feels like I have a ticking time bomb (so to speak) in my PC, as I get the mentality that the SSD will be one of the first things to fail in there.

ooo...you lot are making me want one...lol...guess what i'm getting for my b-day...:D

edit: do you think a 64Gb ssd would be good for me as I use a 70GB raptor with about 24GB spare still?

Edited by Il_napoletano

I personally would get at least a 128gb SSD. I love mine and they do fill up fast when you start putting games and applications on there that you use all the time. I was in the same boat thinking how could these really be that good? But when I am in BF3 in 10 seconds compared to what felt like a minute before, I will never go back! When the windows screen loads, every app is loaded and ready to go where before it took a minute for each inidividual program to load. I don't even use hidernate anymore because it takes almost the same time to wake up as it does to fresh start.