Gaming: Then vs Now

Fogel

The first set of poll responses were tongue in check with references to how people used to speak so I can understand why people thought those were confusing but looks like the revised poll is still confusing some people. The poll wasn't really on topic anyway, I was just getting additional information so that's probably the source of the confusion. So I am removing the poll.

Thank you to those who did answer the poll though! Here are the results of the poll.

Of the 15 Old School Gamers that voted:

- 6 prefer older games

- 9 prefer newer games

Of the 7 Young Gamers that voted:

- 1 sticks to new games

- 6 play both old and new games

And one person voted as not playing any games.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw a few people referencing playing solo and not enjoying multiplayer. I am hitting the same point. I have found as I get older I have less tolerance for stupid and in multiplayer there is a LOT of stupid. Now let me be clear, I am not referring to stupid play. Beginners, novice players even players with low skill do not bother me. What I am referring to is stupid people. Morons that spend their time trying to impress everyone, or that think they must lead because they are so uber, you get the idea. Unfortunately that is something even the best game design cannot fix. Oh I know I could be picky about who I play with but unless I stick to a very small group of friends then I have to weed through the stupid every game to find people worth the effort, and usually by the time I can find them I am so sick of the stupid I do not want to play.

I saw a few people referencing playing solo and not enjoying multiplayer. I am hitting the same point. I have found as I get older I have less tolerance for stupid and in multiplayer there is a LOT of stupid. Now let me be clear, I am not referring to stupid play. Beginners, novice players even players with low skill do not bother me. What I am referring to is stupid people. Morons that spend their time trying to impress everyone, or that think they must lead because they are so uber, you get the idea. Unfortunately that is something even the best game design cannot fix. Oh I know I could be picky about who I play with but unless I stick to a very small group of friends then I have to weed through the stupid every game to find people worth the effort, and usually by the time I can find them I am so sick of the stupid I do not want to play.

Oh come on now your just mad because kids used to beat you playing hopscotch, a lot has changed in 80 years since you were a kid :biggrin:

Bad graphics don't bother me at all. Story and gameplay are paramount and good graphics are just the cherry on top.

This. Always this. Plus, sometimes the nostalgia factor just wins out over graphics.

New vs Old doesn't neccesarily have to be about graphics.

When I think New Games vs Old Games, the things that come to my mind are... for me, older games tended to be more complete games. For example, GoldenEye is known for being the King FPS MP on the consoles. GoldenEye also had a stellar SP campaign - 20 missions I believe. You could select a difficulty specific for each level. Each level also had an achievement to complete ...and I don't mean useless XBL points or PSN trophies. If you accomplished the achievement you unlocked a cheat you could access in SP or in MP ...obviously using a cheat in SP was just for fun and didn't allow you to unlock other achievements. So it gave you a fun reason to keep playing the game and many times you and your friends would sit there for hours trying to unlock an achievement for some perk to use in MP (like Paintball mode, Big Head mode, etc.). Achievements back in those days gave awesome stuff to reward players that improved the fun factor the game had to offer. Achievements these days are really just for bragging rights or maybe extra symbols/emblems that don't affect gameplay one bit.

Point being games back then tried really hard to make a well rounded game, so if it offered MP than SP was also usually pretty good. I find very few newer games spend a lot of time on both SP and MP. There are exceptions to every rule (such as SC2) but in general I find most MP centric games to be severly lacking in SP. Or if a game that is primarily SP adds in MP to appease fans it is generally pretty lame.

In favor of newer games, as someone else pointed out (dm I believe), I find newer games to have more involved storylines. Again, exceptions to every rule (sure someone will bring up some RPG), but I find older games to severly lack in the storyline department. Even my favorite game of all time (which most have never heard of ...let alone played) had a lot of storyline features, history and character development but still cannot compare to today's games. I will admit a lot has to do with technology allowing the storytelling to be easier these days than it was back then ...especially with limited disc space. But game developers these days have gotten very creative with their art style and different ways to express the story that for me newer games completely dominate this category. And in general I don't think many older games took the story too seriously. I think games in general are considered more of an artform these days than back in the day.

It's funny, I see that reasoning a lot anymore, but oddly I don't find a lot of it in my games. I'm pretty much purely a public games player, I enjoy playing with random strangers. I rarely come across "stupid" or "annoying" people. Honestly, I probably only run into people like that once or twice a month, it's a rare thing. Overall I would say that's pretty good considering I play on a lot of servers with friendly fire enabled.

However I also mostly just play co-op games, so that could be part of the reason I don't run into a lot of that.

Mostly the only kind of players that ever bother me are the ones playing on a difficulty that's well above what they are capable of in games that have a leveling system. For whatever reason, every new player seems to think they can handle the hardest tier of difficulty even when playing on normal is impossible for them. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Before I start: I'm 23.

I remember when I visited my older brother and we took a 10 mile walk to Wal-Mart to buy Pokemon Yellow for gameboy.. He got grounded and I got sent away lol- Because we never asked (wanted to keep it a secret) and it really WAS 10 miles to Wal-Mart.

Aside from that, I think i had played one game prior: Cruisin' USA on the N64, which a relative had given my mother for me and my brother when it first came out.

My favorite old school game:

Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time. I recently tried playing it on a PC emulator, and was saddened to see that I couldn't stand the atrociousness of the graphics and lack of sound :(

Ah well, the good ol' days of gaming. You know, as a kid I didn't see myself growing up to be a gamer, I hardly cared.. But here I am today: PC enthusiast and PC gamer, playing console only when I visit my brother, so he can school me on PS3.

I wasn't poor growing up (you can't have TV and a game console and be poor) but my family dind't have a whole lot of money.

So I had a Sega MasterSystem (at this point it was years old and pretty much obsolete in the USA) around the time the Sega Genesis came out and I finally got a Genesis around 93-94 (never owned a Nintendo console growing up; excluding the GBC I had), got a PlayStation 1 around 1998 and didn't get a PlayStation 2 until about 04-05.

I've always been years behind in gaming.

Even with computer games I never had the proper hardware to run the newer games, I was always stuck playing the crap out of all my older games, having to make do with what I had.

Though it is actually a very good idea if you can not spoil the storylines of games to wait a few years for the prices of hardware and software to drop:

cutting_edge.png

I think this is why I was much more active when I was younger, I never had any new electronics/games and such so I had to GASP! go outside and do real/physical things.

Now that I have my own disposable income (past 4-5 years or so) I'm horribly out of shape and am always gaming or being on the computer.

Yeah... blame everyone but yourself for your laziness...

:P

So the other day I go to play Redneck Rampage, you know, an old 90's PC game, and to my surprise I found it very enjoyable. I think that's what sets apart the good from the bad in gaming, games that can withstand the test of time. I actually found it more enjoyable than a lot of today's games even, if you asked me to choose between MW3, BF3, and Redneck Rampage, I would choose Redneck Rampage. Mostly because it has this certain simplicity that feels complex I think, like the game will give you a task but it won't hold your hand like so many of today's games do, it really challenges you. Another thing is the atmosphere/mood of the game, it's really just like a fun game, that's the entire goal, just to have fun with crazy unrealistic gaming mechanics and humor.

This is something you simply don't find in many modern games, now games always have this super serious atmosphere, you name any big title in the last few years, it's always about war/apocalypse/horror/etc. To me humor is a big thing in any game, I think it's sad that so many games are lacking it now, and the realism stuff has pretty much been beat to death I think, realistic graphics, guns, vehicles, and other stuff just isn't necessary. I mean look at a game like GTA 4, you get thrown out of your car if you're driving too fast and hit something, really? Why would anyone want that? Seems to me like if you're trying to get from point A to point B, you want to encounter as few problems as possible.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority with this view though, as most people do seem to hate older games and any new games that try to mimic older games.

My first online gaming experience was TCP/IP direct connection in Warcraft 2. We usually spent more time getting the game to work than we did actually playing. But it was glorious, I think I was 11 at the time.

It dissapoints me that gamers nowadays will never get to experience the frustration/gratification of old school PC gaming. It was a rite of passage. Sure modern PC gaming still has its quirks, but nothing like it did on windows 3x. I can't even remember the last game that required port forwarding. 95% is plug and play now.

I love my newer games, but honestly I have a thing for anything retro too...

One of my dreams is to build an arcade/bar and maybe restaurant (More homely than dave and busters, and dosen't focus on prizes only games!)

I almost bought a Missile Defense arcade about a year ago... Dont really have the room for it now :(

I really love the standup arcade games, I used to spend a lot of time in these places growing up... I really miss going to the arcade :(

My first online gaming experience I think was with Command and Conquer, then I started getting into the shooters and what not... This wasn't the first video game I played by any means. I played tons of offline games before that.

Edited by greengiant912