P67 or Z68 Recommendations

Ok guys and/or gals. Need some help. Both Z68 boards I bought for my personal build were duds. One Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/G3 and one MSI Z68A-GD65 both with different issues that prevented me from getting my build together this weekend.

Asus - no post with any brand / speed of memory installed in DIMM B2 and pcb was warped (VERY warped).

MSI - enabling Realtek onboard lan kills SLi / enabling Renasas USB3.0 controller caused Windows to hang and lock up.

So I'm back in the market for a replacment P67 or Z68 and looking for a recommendation. Can be Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or ASRock. Budget is $240 or less.

Build components already on hand:

Intel i7 2700K

G.Skill 12Gb (3x4) DDR3 1866 or DDR3 2133

eVGA GTX570 x2 in SLi

Corsair 1000HX

The motherboard must have 8 SATA ports or 7 SATA ports and one eSata

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, Waco's luck is beginning to rub off on ya.

Shouldn't you be able to get an RMA for them?

I'm fond of my ASUS P8Z68-Z Pro's. No problems on all 3 of them except for the last 2 versions of Virtu crashing.

Unless you need or want SRT or Virtu, P67's fine, too... though I've had more problems with the P67 boards than the Z68 boards. I'd also go ASUS and Gigabyte over ASRock and MSI.

I have yet to experience any problems with my Asus P8P67 Pro. It's been loyal from day one.

I just put together a pc for a friend using the MSI Z68-UD65, which also installed and worked from day one. I haven't tested it thoroughly. Ran two runs of 3dmark 11 just to check temps and such. But his SLI seemed to be working just fine, and the score looked fine, since everything were at stock speeds.

Thanks Cappy. I've already got both boards RMA'd. But I'm just getting refunds instead of replacements. I've got to buy a new board today in an attempt to get my rig back up and running before I leave for Chicago next Sunday. Do you have any issues with SLi on the Asus Pro board while running the onboard LAN? Any problems with the USB3.0 causing Windows errors or hangs when enabled?

Thanks Cappy. I've already got both boards RMA'd. But I'm just getting refunds instead of replacements. I've got to buy a new board today in an attempt to get my rig back up and running before I leave for Chicago next Sunday. Do you have any issues with SLi on the Asus Pro board while running the onboard LAN? Any problems with the USB3.0 causing Windows errors or hangs when enabled?

No issues. Ran SLI GTX 580's (even a 3rd PhysX card), 570's, and Xfire 6970's on them, as well as onboard LAN (the only LAN I use). No issues with USB3.0, either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188098

If EVGA works for you, this board should be similar to your MSI mobo for your i7 950. With rebate it is under budget.

True, I've found EVGA boards to be solid (as far as LGA 1366 boards go), but warranty doesn't transfer, so I usually don't get EVGA products that often.

I actually considered that eVGA board, but the PCIe x1 slot is blocked by the cooler and I need that slot for my Creative XFI Titanium :(

And, the FTW board is extended ATX so won't fit in my current case......................... last problem is that it only has six SATA ports. Need at least 7 with one eSATA or 8 SATA all together. I've got a SATA to eSATA bracket.