Cable sleeving

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on -- it's a dumb pone call talking to a stupid computer voice that can't read you your with an even spacing...long pause, short pause, haha.

I do this almost on a monthly basis anymore -- haha :cheers:

Nope nope, they are right. Where you make your phone call, I just need to code a better key generator :ph34r:

A while back a had a HDD that was totally legit, but when I upgraded to an SSD I could not transfer over the OS. I called up MS and they said I needed to buy another copy. That is when I hung up.....laughed....and got coding ;):P

A while back a had a HDD that was totally legit, but when I upgraded to an SSD I could not transfer over the OS.

You're doing it wrong. :lol: I've done this many times and the only hangup is that you have to manually resize your partition before you can write the image to a smaller SSD (since NTFS by default puts the MFT mirror at roughly halfway into the logical drive space to minimize seeking). It's immovable by default but there are quite a few ways to shrink the partition without hosing your install.

Worst case - why wouldn't you just reinstall and use the key again? That's not illegal by any means as long as you don't use the HDD with the OS installed simultaneously.

Worst case - why wouldn't you just reinstall and use the key again? That's not illegal by any means as long as you don't use the HDD with the OS installed simultaneously.

That is EXACTLY what I did. But the key would not work. I called up MS and they were like oh yeah you can't do that......you need to buy the OS again.

Now this was VERY odd to me considering I did it with windows Xp about a million times.

I had the right key, I had the right OS disk, I had the right everything, but it still wouldn't let me do it. I even talked to the manager of the tech support clan (we will call them) and he said the same thing. They kept saying it had something to do with my copy of windows being a student copy (download) which was windows 7 profession, but it was still a full copy.

At that point I figured that they weren't going to be helpful and I basically just threw my hands up in the air and said F it.

I am sure there is a way in which to do it still, but the drive I had with my original download fried a while ago. I could probably go through the worlds largest phone tree to get a good CS agent who knows what they are talking about, but at this point, I honestly don't even care.

I just wish that linux will support steam and all of my drivers sometime soon :biggrin:

That is EXACTLY what I did. But the key would not work. I called up MS and they were like oh yeah you can't do that......you need to buy the OS again.

Now this was VERY odd to me considering I did it with windows Xp about a million times.

I had the right key, I had the right OS disk, I had the right everything, but it still wouldn't let me do it. I even talked to the manager of the tech support clan (we will call them) and he said the same thing. They kept saying it had something to do with my copy of windows being a student copy (download) which was windows 7 profession, but it was still a full copy.

At that point I figured that they weren't going to be helpful and I basically just threw my hands up in the air and said F it.

I am sure there is a way in which to do it still, but the drive I had with my original download fried a while ago. I could probably go through the worlds largest phone tree to get a good CS agent who knows what they are talking about, but at this point, I honestly don't even care.

I just wish that linux will support steam and all of my drivers sometime soon :biggrin:

:lol:

You have an upgrade key. Install once without using no key at all (leave the serial number boxes blank) - then do a clean install over the top of it once the first install boots to the desktop. Easy-peasy. :cheers:

I go through this every time I do an install on a clean drive. I think every key I own (which is a stupid number...something like 20+ Vista keys and 10+ 7 keys) is an "upgrade" version that requires this workaround.

You have an upgrade key. Install once without using no key at all (leave the serial number boxes blank) - then do a clean install over the top of it once the first install boots to the desktop. Easy-peasy. :cheers:

I go through this every time I do an install on a clean drive. I think every key I own (which is a stupid number...something like 20+ Vista keys and 10+ 7 keys) is an "upgrade" version that requires this workaround.

Tried that too. Still didn't work. :cry:

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

Tried that too. Still didn't work. :cry:

Then something is wrong with your keys...how did you get them? That's the only workaround needed for student upgrade keys.

Then something is wrong with your keys...how did you get them? That's the only workaround needed for student upgrade keys.

It was like some sort of student program through the college book store's web site. I knew it was the right key, because it was the same key that was sent to me in an email from microsoft themselves and I copied and pasted.

Obviously it wasn't fake because I got the email from microsoft themselves obviously and it worked.

The only thing I could have made it out to be was that it was possible that there was a file missing in the installation. Like just some weird blurp in the code and it was just my shear bad luck, but I tried to torrent a copy of windows and use the key code on that (to rule out weird code issue)....that didn't work. I tried probably every coding trick, software trick, hardware trick, and even kicking and screaming trick in the book, with no success.

The other oddity that may or may not have any correlation is that I can not install any linux OS at all on the HDD in my pc and even my SSD. Again, I tried every trick in the book, with no success. I put the same exact OS copy of linux on my laptop and the family computer with no trouble. Even with a default BIOS with the latest edition and the drives didn't appear. It can't be my error since I have it running on so many other computers with no troubles or fany BIOS configs, SOooooooooooooooooo what the heck is going on.

I think it is just flat out bad luck. We have discussed this many times waco. I think I am the only guy who can say I have had 4 flash drives made by various companies, all with different capacities, all miles and miles away from each other, all die within 15 minutes of each other running of totally separate computers doing totally different things. I also think I am the only guy with a NH-D14 and a i7 950 that can hit 78 C running full load running at stock speeds too :rofl:

Trust me when I say that you are not as cursed as you think you are ;)

Um....This and This :popcorn: