How much space on your PC do your pictures take

VaporX

40 members have voted

1. 1. How much space on your PC do your pictures take

• less than 1 gig
    • 1 to 2 gig
    • 3 to 5 gig
    • more than 5 gig

I then off load ot and external HD which BTW is a 320 gig drive and we have used about 100 gig for storing family photos.

Why the distinction between internal and external storage? If you always have the external connected and powered up I don't see why you'd want to segregate them. :P

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound like me, i keep originals and edits separate. Luckily i did not have a camera that shot raw until october so i don't have to many raw shots yet.

I got a canon rebel XSI back when Circut city was going out of business, and I got it for a song. I have been shooting raw ever since ;)

A word of advice is don't bother shooting RAW unless you have a compact DSLR camera or above. We have a really fancy nikon point and shoot (referred to as a professional point and shoot) and there is NO difference in picture quality between RAW and jpeg. It will save you a TON of time and space to keep shooting in Jpeg. Plus, unless you are blowing up the picture to poster size, there really is no use for RAW. Just y two cents to save you from spending money on more hard drive space ;)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For thread: If I could count all my film pictures (yes, I shoot film............I a a dinosaur ROAR!!!! :rofl: ) it would be like 3TB of data :lol:

a lot...I have many collection of scanned artbooks and references (people photograph, cloth, object, etc, all photos and artbooks are in high resolution), and of course my own artwork (I keep them all)... I am an illustrator though, references are so important for me...lol.. :D

Why the distinction between internal and external storage? If you always have the external connected and powered up I don't see why you'd want to segregate them. :P

First if you have an external always hooked up and powered on in my opinion you are silly. Externals are usually used as backups. Leaving a backup always on ans hooked in means it is just as susceptible to what might damage your PC as the data on the PC. Second it is again about the material I am gathering.

I got a canon rebel XSI back when Circut city was going out of business, and I got it for a song. I have been shooting raw ever since ;)

A word of advice is don't bother shooting RAW unless you have a compact DSLR camera or above. We have a really fancy nikon point and shoot (referred to as a professional point and shoot) and there is NO difference in picture quality between RAW and jpeg. It will save you a TON of time and space to keep shooting in Jpeg. Plus, unless you are blowing up the picture to poster size, there really is no use for RAW. Just y two cents to save you from spending money on more hard drive space ;)

Yeah i have a D5100, i love to play with RAW pics but i don't always have time so i don't shoot in it too much.

On my computers, not so much... my pictures (all images) and photos are mostly stored centrally on my NAS:

[~] # du -sh /share/Multimedia/Images/

56G /share/Multimedia/Images/

[~] # du -sh /share/Multimedia/Images/Photos

30G /share/Multimedia/Images/Photos

I shoot in RAW, which is then converted to DNG, and some then to PSD and JPG, which would all be included in the Photos folder size