How much space on your PC do your pictures take

VaporX

40 members have voted

1. 1. How much space on your PC do your pictures take

• less than 1 gig
    • 1 to 2 gig
    • 3 to 5 gig
    • more than 5 gig

Wow I have to tell you that those sound like a lot of pictures. I am curious, with the exception of those of you that are profesional photographers, and it sounds like there are a few, do you access all those pics very often?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I have to tell you that those sound like a lot of pictures. I am curious, with the exception of those of you that are profesional photographers, and it sounds like there are a few, do you access all those pics very often?

I really don't think 5GB is that many pictures. You take one or two vacations and you'll easily be at that mark. The real question you should ask is for those that are below 5GB, do they ever leave the house? :lol:

I must have 100gbs of RAW pictures and within that maybe 50gb of PSD files. pictures take alot of space when it's not a jpeg. everytime i go shoot it's a full 8gb CF card.

Edited by hornybluecow

I really don't think 5GB is that many pictures. You take one or two vacations and you'll easily be at that mark. The real question you should ask is for those that are below 5GB, do they ever leave the house? :lol:

We do leave the house, and may have gone farther than you have! The thing is, I'm just not a photography addicted person. When I go somewhere, I like to experience first hand and keep that picture memory in my head. I'm not the annoying guy snapping 20, 000, 000, 000 pictures of every little thing that they see. "Hey kids! Crouch around that roach on the sidewalk so I can take a picture! How cute!"

Edited by jack_of_java

Assuming you take a few pictures every time you go on vacation, do something memorable, etc, it's really not hard to rack up a lot of pictures these days. I mean, most cameras today take pictures in the 2-4 MB range when in JPEG mode so 5 GB is only 1300-2500 pictures.

Well I do have to deal with a ton of photos for review material, we have a new dog so lots of pics coming there, screen shots for various software and games I have under review, we have just had in the last two years our wedding, first anniversary, an Alaska Cruise, I have been to CES and so on, so I do get out of the house. Now I HAVE a lot of pictures but I only keep about 1 gig on my system. I mean once I load them, edit as needed and make sure they are catagorized so I can find them I see no need for them to be in system. I then off load ot and external HD which BTW is a 320 gig drive and we have used about 100 gig for storing family photos.

I was just curious with that much space dedicated to photos on your system do you like actually sit down for an hour to two and just go through picks or are they just stored there?

I have about 1TB of pics in RAW/Jpeg.

However, I am not really sure all of it counts. When I take a picture, I usually take 40 of the same thing (usually a flower, building, or land scape) in RAW. If I were to count all of the single pictures I had, it would be about 2K, but since I like to take 40 of them I have like 80K. So that is sort of artificial inflation.

I like to have all of those pictures available so I can make sure I can get the best photo (clean and crisp) possible. Since I usually never have time to actually stop and take my photos it is a method in which to make sure I don't miss a photo because of some weird factor because chances are I am never going to get the opportunity again.

So when I get home I take all my pictures off and then edit them. I always keep the original file and the edited file separate, and I don't like to delete my duplicates just in case I find a cool way to edit a bad picture to make it look interesting. So once again, I am artificial inflating the number of GBs.

Lastly, when I am done editing, I batch process all my new and edited pics into JPEG files which doubles the amount of pics I have.

It goes on and on and on. Thankfully, not that long ago I went through a massive compressing spree and was able to free up about 100GB, but in reality it is still about 900 gb.

I have about 1TB of pics in RAW/Jpeg.

However, I am not really sure all of it counts. When I take a picture, I usually take 40 of the same thing (usually a flower, building, or land scape) in RAW. If I were to count all of the single pictures I had, it would be about 2K, but since I like to take 40 of them I have like 80K. So that is sort of artificial inflation.

I like to have all of those pictures available so I can make sure I can get the best photo (clean and crisp) possible. Since I usually never have time to actually stop and take my photos it is a method in which to make sure I don't miss a photo because of some weird factor because chances are I am never going to get the opportunity again.

So when I get home I take all my pictures off and then edit them. I always keep the original file and the edited file separate, and I don't like to delete my duplicates just in case I find a cool way to edit a bad picture to make it look interesting. So once again, I am artificial inflating the number of GBs.

Lastly, when I am done editing, I batch process all my new and edited pics into JPEG files which doubles the amount of pics I have.

It goes on and on and on. Thankfully, not that long ago I went through a massive compressing spree and was able to free up about 100GB, but in reality it is still about 900 gb.

You sound like me, i keep originals and edits separate. Luckily i did not have a camera that shot raw until october so i don't have to many raw shots yet.