Sell, or not to sell.

tbris84

IMO....3d gaming has it's place for fighting and adventure games. However, to me, it is just a gimmick to sell hardware. Stick with what you can afford at the moment go from there. From my personal experience, NVIDIA has always been better when it comes to gaming, but AMD/ATI has always been better at video playing. I recently had to switch out a brand new Nvidia GT520 card for my old HD 4850 to use in my HTPC due to known issues with audio/video syncing when playing back movies on the TV. If your TV has a DVI connection, use that if you intend to game. The downside is that you cannot use the TV speakers for audio, as DVI does not have an audio throughput like HDMI. Just food for thought.

Also, I'd recommend against spending a bunch of money on an extra vid card for physX. Look on the NVidia website for a list of physX compatible cards, then search ebay or the forums here to see if someone has an old card to use for it. You DO NOT need to have an extremely powerful card for physX. Currently, I am running a GTX 580 as my main card, and an old 8800GT for my physX. I do like the difference I see from physX, but others may not.

I'm satisfied with my current build, but I kind of rushed the parts selecting because I was on a strict budget. I have a chance to rectify this by selling my 2500K, 6870, P67A-G43, and XFX PSU for more than what I paid for it. My main question is, if I do sell it all how long will I have to wait for Ivy Bridge and HD7870s? Will the added expense be worth it?

Option A: Sell my current 2500K rig for a profit. Use my old PIIx4 rig until IVB and 7870's are released.

Option B: Keep my current 2500K and not have fun parting out a new build.

I would not worry about rushing into an Ivybridge. These are essentially Sandybridge chips using the smaller die and with better onboard graphics. There might be a little extra overclocking headroom but I doubt it would be worth the price difference. As for the 7870 I would wait and see how the pricing plays out. I would also wait to see what the word is on Kepler. AMD has not shown a kind side when it comes to pricing this round of video cards, the prices are kind of high when compared to their previous generation. Plus when nVidia finally gets close to launch AMD has traditionally done a price cut to dig into those first sales.

I would sell it and upgrade if you know you can get a profit. I find it really hard to believe because I have been trying to sell custom builds for a while and there are companies that already do that. Unfortunately windows 7 is where I loose any profit. Stupid Bill Gates :P .

I would upgrade to ivy bridge simply for the fact as it wont depreciate as much as a sandy bridge CPU as we approach haswell. That way you can in theory sell the new build at a better value and be able to upgrade into Haswell or Broadwell if you so choose.