Sign in to follow this  
tbris84

Sell, or not to sell.

I'm satisfied with my current build, but I kind of rushed the parts selecting because I was on a strict budget. I have a chance to rectify this by selling my 2500K, 6870, P67A-G43, and XFX PSU for more than what I paid for it. My main question is, if I do sell it all how long will I have to wait for Ivy Bridge and HD7870s? Will the added expense be worth it?

Option A: Sell my current 2500K rig for a profit. Use my old PIIx4 rig until IVB and 7870's are released.

Option B: Keep my current 2500K and not have fun parting out a new build.

If you can sell for a profit, that's always good.

Ivy bridge will most likely come out sometime in April.

The 7870's will probably come out when Keplar does so AMD can price them right, without having to re-price them based on Keplar's performance. So sometime in April, most likely.

You're looking at maybe 2 months at the earliest, could be longer.

7870's launch Mar 19th and they are overpriced already. :(

If you can grab a 6950 I think it will be a better deal :lol:

I really want the price performance list you appear to have along with all the release dates you know :happy:

Ah, I guess AMD's wanting some extra dough before they have to re-price after Keplar comes out.

I really want the price performance list you appear to have along with all the release dates you know :happy:

:P

Ah, I guess AMD's wanting some extra dough before they have to re-price after Keplar comes out.

Since it appears they are having trouble producing to partners ya they need every cent they can.

I love how they said we will have tons of supply no shortages will happen uh huh..... same crap as last Gen just a heck of a lot higher prices.

Since it appears they are having trouble producing to partners ya they need every cent they can.

I love how they said we will have tons of supply no shortages will happen uh huh..... same crap as last Gen just a heck of a lot higher prices.

I guess I can't blame them. The first time in a long while they have the top performing single GPU card, so they get to be Livin' La Vida Loca while they can. :P

I guess I can't blame them. The first time in a long while they have the top performing single GPU card, so they get to be Livin' La Vida Loca while they can. :P

:lol:

Your present config is good, actually very good for gaming. You can change graphics card. You don't need to change motherboard & processor as it is rumored that Ivy bridge would come with only 10-15% of performance bump. Selling motherboard is more pointless as Intel is going to move out from LGA1155 platform after ivy bridge processors AFAIK.

if you can sell it for a profit...sell it...then build it again :)

That's kinda what I'm thinking. If for no other reason than the fun of building a new system. However, I do want to make a PRETTIER rig than I currently have. I'm going to get the Corsair 800D case and stick with Corsair PSU and H100 cooler. Would like to get a black/blue or black/red motherboard so I can get 8GB of each Corsair Vengeance with black/red or black/blue heat sinks. This PC has it quirks, not sure if its hardware or software related. For example there are certain programs, that when launched cause everything to freeze for a second or two. I'd really just like the chance to start over.

ASRock has a nice LOOKING motherboard, but I'm not sure how they compare to the likes of Giga/ASUS/MSi.

Also, what about the i7 3820. I'm not a heavy overclocker, still haven't touched this 2500K. It looks to be on par with the 3960X for almost all benchmarks I've seen and for a fraction of the cost.

320+220=540 3820

340+130=470 2700K

325+130=455 2600K

210+130=340 2500K

I don't do any video editing or 3D rendering, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

Is it time for me to switch to nVidia and wait for Kepler? I just bought a new 46" 3D LED Samsung for a computer monitor. Sadly, neither AMD nor nVidia support 3D gaming on it. Any idea if Kepler will have more third party 3D hardware support? Is PhysX worth it?

Edited by tbris84