Onion

Mac Vs. PC

In other words, people pay $1000 extra because they are lazy :lol:

Well not really, my parents and grandparents all use Macs because they are much easier to use and just plain work, mostly because all they need is MSword and email. :rolleyes:

I have seen mac's die after a few months just like PC's do, so I don't buy into that theory at all.

I mean the actual laptop itself. The hinges, keyboard, screen, etc. The internals are subject to the same failures as anything else. I've seen (and owned) a lot of laptops that physically come apart long before the computer itself dies. :lol:

Funny thing about Macs is that they're geared towards multimedia production. However, I don't see support for LucidLogix Virtu, so they won't get any benefits of encoding speeds unless they use the iGPU directly from a Sandy Bridge CPU. That means no overclocking and no discrete graphics card(s). If they want fast encoding speeds, then they'd want to get Nvidia cards with CUDA.

Aside from iOS app development, there really isn't much development on Macs except for Mac multimedia applications. You don't see any games being developed solely for Macs, either, but you'll see games developed for solely PC's.

Unfortunately, anything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a PC faster, cheaper, and just as easily. In essence, all you get with Mac products is style for a higher price-point.

Mac vs PC is like comparing the 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. a 2011 BMW M3 Coupe. The chassis is what sets the Mac apart from the PC, but under the hood, the PC runs just as fast, if not faster, while also being 50% cheaper.

Edited by El_Capitan

In a straight line. ;)

Lol Capi, those cars are bad examples. I'd much rather be putting my money towards an M3 if I was already looking to spend $40k+ on a Mustang.

Comparing a $5000 designer bag to some cheap $50 Chinese bag is a better example. Both do the same exact thing, but one of them you solely buy for the name.

Comparing a $5000 designer bag to some cheap $50 Chinese bag is a better example. Both do the same exact thing, but one of them you solely buy for the name.

it's like no brand dress shoes....

ones that you can get for $15 that are pretty comfy

or Lambrettas(had to go italian) that cost $130 that may be less comfy than no brand...but the cover(case) is better quality(leather etc.)...so there's some people that prefer function over design/quality and there's people who want design/quality over comfort...

so....design and build quality(not component spec)...matter to me...

edit: my lambrettas hold up pretty well for the last two years after regular polishing/maintenance..(worn at least twice a week) they still look new...and stand out for beyond my friends brand new pair of no brands(even though they are more or less the same style)

Edited by Il_napoletano

My $800 toshiba laptop lasted me nearly 3 years as a dtr and I threw that thing on to my bed where it would often bounce of into the wall and then onto the hardwood floor.

I gamed on it, I surfed the web and for sh¡ts and giggs I pulled it entirely apart to take a look inside. And on the day I sold it it still ran amazing and would be on par with $500 laptops easily.

Now I practically beat that thing and it showed very little where a few dent on the corners and that was all and I am yet to meet a MacBook that doesn't have hairline fractures all through it plastic pos unibody shell especially around the hinges. Or one which hasn't had its rubber bottom looking hideous absolutely filthy and peeling.

I have no idea how macs are better in construction because I don't see it. In fact there are several important things they lack that are pretty much standard in other laptops. like an SD card reader or VGA/hdmi out that's horrible design IMO to omit such basic useful things.

Macbooks are aluminum bodied...plastic? You thinking about the really old ones?

My $800 toshiba laptop lasted me nearly 3 years as a dtr and I threw that thing on to my bed where it would often bounce of into the wall and then onto the hardwood floor.

I gamed on it, I surfed the web and for sh¡ts and giggs I pulled it entirely apart to take a look inside. And on the day I sold it it still ran amazing and would be on par with $500 laptops easily.

Now I practically beat that thing and it showed very little where a few dent on the corners and that was all and I am yet to meet a MacBook that doesn't have hairline fractures all through it plastic pos unibody shell especially around the hinges. Or one which hasn't had its rubber bottom looking hideous absolutely filthy and peeling.

I have no idea how macs are better in construction because I don't see it. In fact there are several important things they lack that are pretty much standard in other laptops. like an SD card reader or VGA/hdmi out that's horrible design IMO to omit such basic useful things.

only the old plastic unibodies suffered from the hairlines..

and I've never seen one with a full rubber bottom..only four little rubber feet..that usually only wear and peel if you PUSH it across the table being to lazy to pick it up and move it...which I do to all laptops otherwise if there's a little debris underneath..it'll scratch it..

and they have mini display port...to keep it simple..then you buy the adapters for hdmi/vga/dvi......which I prefer rather than having some chunky laptop just so it can fit vga/dvi/hdmi connections..and the adapters look pretty neat..

and the new ones have SD card readers...

Edited by Il_napoletano

I had an HP 17" laptop for 4 1/2 years... Took it all apart, changed CPU's, etc. It's how you treat items that give you long product life.

I had an HP 17" laptop for 4 1/2 years... Took it all apart, changed CPU's, etc. It's how you treat items that give you long product life.

my dad had a 6 year old macbook..and still sold it for good $$

edit: but I think Mac is losing their touch on desktops...my dad has now sold his mac pro and looking to build a hackintosh...:D

Edited by Il_napoletano