Disparaitre

The thing is and this is where I feel it's STEAM's problem. If as many people are having this problem as there are and STEAM cannot guarantee legit keys, why are they still selling the games? This is not just me and a couple others having the problem, this is many people as in the 100's having this problem if you check out the times this has been brought up at various forums and not including all of the people who purchased them thru steam that haven't tried to play online yet.

The number of people with problems is extremely tiny in comparison to the number of people that have bought the games...so why would they pull the entire product? $10 says if you buy it again it'll work. :P

I mean, all Steam is doing is passing on the keys given to them. If a small percentage of them are bad, what do you expect them to do?

Where should the line be drawn when a company sells a product they know the integrity has been compromised on?

You're blaming this all on Steam. All they do is sell the product and provide a key the publisher gave them. Steam already gave you a refund, so now you should focus on THQ - the publisher that gave the key.

First things first why are you referring to Steam like it is a company? Steam is software produced by Valve. Valve is selling you the games not Steam. You are purchasing the games through Steam not from Steam.

Second I along with the other people who are having this issue should take matters up with THQ and ask them why they are giving Valve bad CD-Keys for their games as that seems to be the issue at hand.

They didn't give me the refund. They didn't even offer me a refund. They offered to keep my money and the product. A refund implies I get my money back to spend how I see fit. They want me to accept credit for another steam purchase so they can keep my money while taking 3 months to offer that single solution. They didn't even try sending me another key to try in place of the ones I have that do not work. I could have accepted that solution and told them at the begining I would have prefered that so their answer isn't to give me another key, it's to take the game, keep my money and expect me to be happy.

You asked for a refund for a purchase made a year ago, despite Steam having a no-refund policy, and despite it not being their fault at all, they give you the equivalent of store credit, well beyond what they had to do, and you have the nerve to flame them? :rolleyes:

It didn't take me long to find this: http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2553487

In fact, a little further digging would show you that GSC admitted it was their fault, not Valve's.

As a staff member, it's my duty to be extra careful not to flame people, but you're making it exceptionally hard to abide by that. Guess the best I can do is tell you to use some common sense next time and maybe do a little bit of research first before getting your panties in a bunch and crying murder.

Where should the line be drawn when a company sells a product they know the integrity has been compromised on?

Probably in the area of a company responsible for the integrity and before the reseller. Seriously, what do you expect Steam to do; test every key they get?

Also, from Steam Support: Third-Party Game Support:

Games Developed and Supported by Third-party Developers/Publishers

You will need to contact the game's developer/publisher directly for support if you encounter any errors or unexpected behavior which is not related to Steam authentication or CD Keys after the game has loaded. If you are unable to locate third-party support, please contact Steam Support for further information. Some examples include:

Game crashes or errors after the game has been launched (that do not appear in a Steam dialog box)

Not being able to connect to multiplayer servers

Game bugs

Gameplay and/or controller questions

Third-party DRM and activation limits

Sending your support request to Steam Support rather than the correct provider may result in a delay in processing your request. Please make sure that your question is only sent to Valve if it does not fall into the criteria listed above. For a list of Third-Party games that are sold on Steam, please browse the knowledgebase here.

It is actually somewhat troubling to me just how many people are blaming Steam for this issue, as I look around online. It's like blaming Amazon because there's a torn page or a typo in a new book you ordered. Amazon didn't print it and they have no control over the quality of the product. In the end of the day, it is the fault of whoever generated the keys, but, I grant you, the easiest solution is likely to be had from Steam. Did you try suggesting they issue you a new key? By that I mean having it removed from your library and then a new copy added, not just a new string of numbers to type in. I can see the publisher being unwilling/unable to issue a new key because it may not activate in Steam if they did, but it is still the publisher's fault.

Don't deffend a company that is making an ongoing bad choice not to make this problem public to those affected, especially when there is a solution.

Don't blame a company for something beyond its control. Did you ever try to contact GSC Game World or THQ about the problem? GSC made the game, THQ published it. Either one of those could have taken care of the problem. Don't go after Valve for something it cannot do. Valve sells the games on Steam. Valve gets the game key from the publisher or developer in order to sell the product. That is it. GSC and THQ are the ones with control over the CD key and those are the ones you should have talked to.

For starters, look at the date of that post then put 1+1 together when I said the date I finally filed my support ticket with STEAM about the issue. +1 to me for not having that info available due to lack of time travel.

Is this better for you? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982820&highlight=cdkey

Would you like me to find more....I only spent five seconds finding that.