Asrock fatailty proffesional gen 3 z68 DVD DRIVE

i want to plug my dvd drive into my motherboard but am unsure which sata port to plug it into there red ones and black ones am unsure which ones to use could someone please help me

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/Owenisbad/asrock_fatal1ty_z68_pro_2caseconnectors.jpg

i want to plug my dvd drive into my motherboard but am unsure which sata port to plug it into there red ones and black ones am unsure which ones to use could someone please help me

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/Owenisbad/asrock_fatal1ty_z68_pro_2caseconnectors.jpg

and theres another sata connection that came with my coolermaster storm scout thats another one am unsure were to plug

It should work in any SATA port, they're not restricted like IDE cables (Master/Slave). Try one, it should work regardless. If it doesn't, just move it to another. But I don't see any reason why one SATA port would work for a specific drive type only.

If you mean the metal prongs with the blue circle, that's not a SATA port.. And I'll get back to you in a second on which one is for what.

-Edit: Even if you plug it into the "wrong" SATA port (Which I really think is impossible) it won't do any damage at all. They work much like USB ports: They act as a data transfer hub and have no restriction on which one is used.

THIS is a SATA port, just to be clear:

http://www.cooldrives.com/lib/cooldrives/esata-sata-sata-II-ports.jpg

You could use port 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4, 1 and 3, etc.. There is no restriction, they all do the exact same thing and are all completely flexible on usage.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

The RED ones are SATA III which is the newer generation of SATA IO

The BLACK ones are SATA II which is the older generation but still widely used (especially optical drives)

Today's optical drives haven't utilize the SATA III ports yet so plug them on either one of the BLACK SATA II ports.

The ones that comes with the CM Storm Scout are (I'm Persuming) e-SATA ports which is most likely SATA II, so plug it on the black ones too.

Red is SATA 3 (6BG/s), Black is SATA 2 (3GB/s).

As noted in third product picture here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

But to note: SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II devices. Unless you have SATA III compatbile devices which you plan to use, there's no need to save the III ports.

If you plug a SATA II device into a SATA III port: It will work as usual.

If you plug a SATA III device into a SATA II port: It will work at SATA II speeds, which will most likely be slower.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Red is SATA 3 (6BG/s), Black is SATA 2 (3GB/s).

As noted in product pictures here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

But to note: SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II devices. Unless you have SATA III compatbile devices which you plan to use, there's no need to save the III ports.

If you plug a SATA II device into a SATA III port: It will work as usual.

If you plug a SATA III device into a SATA II port: It will work at SATA II speeds, which will most likely be slower.

so i can plug them in any really and the sata cable i got was what came with the motherboard

Yeah, and just to clarify: The e-Sata and USB 2.0 ports on the Cooler Master Storm Scout are SATA II, as is your optical drive.

So plug them both into the black SATA ports if you want to save the SATA III ports for SATA III capable devices. Though they'll work on either, it saves the faster ports for things that need them.

-Edit: Between SATA II/III there is no physical difference. The change is only in the bandwidth limitations. A SATA 3 device on a SATA 3 port has a limitation of 6GB/s, as opposed to any mixture of SATA 2 and 3, which cannot exceed 3GB/s. So far, I can't think of any single components which reach those limitations anyways, in either specification.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Yeah, and just to clarify: The e-Sata and USB 2.0 ports on the Cooler Master Storm Scout are SATA II, as is your optical drive.

So plug them both into the black SATA ports if you want to save the SATA III ports for SATA III capable devices. Though they'll work on either, it saves the faster ports for things that need them.

-Edit: Between SATA II/III there is no physical difference. The change is only in the bandwidth limitations. A SATA 3 device on a SATA 3 port has a limitation of 6GB/s, as opposed to any mixture of SATA 2 and 3, which cannot exceed 3GB/s. So far, I can't think of any single components which reach those limitations anyways, in either specification.

jsut plugged them in just waiting for 2 more parts to come and i was wondering am unsure if my motherboard has its own on board graphics card because thats the last thing i need to buy as the 2 parts am waiting for have been paid for and are on way should be here for tuesday

Happy I could help. That's a nice motherboard by the way, I'm jelly. I got the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 and thought I had a nice one lol.. Now I feel like a caveman :/ Congrats man.

they all do the same job atleast they work haha i wont know if mine will work until my ram and hdd comes lol

jsut plugged them in just waiting for 2 more parts to come and i was wondering am unsure if my motherboard has its own on board graphics card because thats the last thing i need to buy as the 2 parts am waiting for have been paid for and are on way should be here for tuesday

Don't forget one thing: blacks are for optical drives & SATA II drives, and red ones are SATA III ports. Plugging into any of them would be correct, and that won't matter unless you have loads of HDD & SSDs.