Sign in to follow this  
Trent LK

6950 Low Performance (Solved)

Hello everyone, I seem to have a problem with my graphics card (AMD 6950 Windforce Edition), it is under preforming a lot. I would like any help into what might be causing it. It all started a few weeks after I got the card. I was playing skyrim and I decided to reboot because windows needed to install some things. After I installed the drivers I went back to playing games, this time I started to play Witcher 2. I noticed right away that I was having fps problems, before the restart I was able play will all the settings up to ultra, minus the ubersampling and vsync at a solid 50-40 fps. I decided that it was the game acting up and not my hardware. I then preceded to play Skyrim where I realized that the fps was horrible in that game too. I was able to get a solid 60 fps will a lot of graphical enhancement mods on. Now I get in the mid 20s. This is the same for all my games, no matter what setting I turn down I do not see an increase in fps. I Then decided to do a quick re install of Windows. The problem seemed to go away but now its back. Also before my fps drop my GPU never would only use 70% now its going up to 100% percent usage. Who ever can help me I would appreciate it a lot. I will include pictures from gpu-z, cpu-z, and msi after burner. I will also list all the components of my rig below. And thank you to anyone that can help me

My Rig

Processor: AMD Phenom II 565, unlocked and overclocked to b65 @ 3.8ghz\

MOBO: Asus M4A88T-m 880G chipset

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 +, Push Pull Configuration

Ram: Kingston Hyper X 1600mhz, overclocked in bios from 1333, timings 9-9-9-24, voltage 1.65

Graphics Card: Gigabyte 6950 oc Windforce, overclocked to 900 core clock, 1325 memory clock

PSU: Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W

Hard Drive: Old sata 2 120gb + 100gb IDE

I Thank anyone that can help me

post-84673-0-05415100-1329455403_thumb.png

post-84673-0-39021300-1329455407_thumb.png

post-84673-0-30903200-1329455411_thumb.png

post-84673-0-72766200-1329455416_thumb.gif

post-84673-0-19801500-1329455421_thumb.png

Edited by Trent LK

A new driver came out today:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalyst122precertifieddriver.aspx

This is different from the Preview version you are running. Its the same driver they will release later as the official WHQL 12.2 driver, they just sent it off for certification.

I'd say do a clean uninstall of your current cats and use driver sweeper too http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Then install the new cats. Its probably a driver problem.

EDIT:

I also noticed you only have a 500W power supply. I think thats near bare minimum for this card, and if it started going bad... that could lead to these problems too. If your system was trying to draw more power than the PSU could deliver, it could start to burn out the PSU. Do you have another one to switch it out with?

Edited by 90sgamer

I've never heard of that type of PSU, though i haven't stayed in touch much with power supplies since i bought my corsair. Anyway, it's possible that it may not be an 80+ PSU and your GPU might not be getting enough juice.

Edit: Oh and everything is overclocked AND you have 2 hard drives. I'm almost certain it's the PSU.

Edited by Rofltroll

I doubt its the PSU, Rosewill is Neweggs house brand, which doesn't mean much as they still aren't the greatest PSUs :P.

However, if it was the PSU causing the issue, nothing would have been fixed with the fresh windows install.

This definitely sounds like a software issue, especially if it happened after the same batch of updates.

I'd do as Gamer suggested and do a clean install of the newest batch of drivers.

Also, just out of curiosity, did you install the drivers or let windows find them for you?

I used DRPS 11.8 to get the divers for the standard stuff then I installed CCC so the drivers for the video card were uptodate. But I already did a clean install and installed the latest Catalyst software. Everything was fine until windows update installed something, so i dont see how doing another clean install will fix anything. I am thinking that it has to be caused by windows with a driver, maybe windows erased a amd driver then installed one that was in the update. But wouldnt installing the latest CCC work, which is what i did.

And no i dont have another psu. I am eventually gonna get a new one, but this ones working right now with no problems. So i will use it until it fails or i decide to get another card for crossfire.

Edited by Trent LK

So i did what gamer said but still no luck. My fps in skyrim increased to 37fps but thats standing still, when i move it will dip below 20fps. This is not the solid 60fps i was getting when i had a fresh install of windows 7 and before the problems even started to occur.

My temps are perfectly fine 30C idle and 55C load. So thats not the issue.

But it seems that my gpu is not being fully utilized because when i am playing skyrim i will open msi afterbruner to see what the usage is its maxing at 40-30 and even lower while ingame.

EDIT: I began to test other games, it seems that witcher 2 is doing fine now. So does anybody know a free benchmark that i can use and let me know what score i should be getting. Thanks

Edited by Trent LK

I run 6950 X-fire and I never get FPS dips, even with the graphics cranked up (even with out X-fire) your card may be going bad or you need to upgrade drivers.

Edited by Black64

Try unigen haven as a bench and submit your score to the OCC team on HWBot and you will also be able to check performance against other people running the same graphics set up.

You could then go on with some of the 3DMark benchs, 05, vantage and 11 would all be good and again HWBot is a good place to compare and you can even help OCC out at the same time.

I like using the STALKER COP bench it's free to download and you can run it at a variety of settings and you will get a good idea of how your card will run with great lighting effects. It's also a DX11 bench which is good spider to previous versions of DX that way you will get a good idea of the DX11 effects performance in newer games.