Corsair Force GT SATA 3 RAID 0 Performance

Speedway

Well SSD space on my 120GB Force GT was starting to get low, so instead of reinstalling games or large programs onto my HDD, I did what any SSD speed addict would do and grabbed another 120GB Force GT :evilgrin: I figured I would get a performance boost, to go along with doubling the space, which was of course the main reason for adding the 2nd SSD! But, I really didn't think I would see this kind of jump in CrystalDiskMark. I know, I know...it's just a benchmark, but I'm a benchmark junkie :P

Single 120GB Corsair Force GT with 13GB of space remaining and Windows installed:

crystaldiskmarkoriginal.png

Single 120GB Corsair Force GT - Completely Empty:

crystaldiskmarkemptyfor.png

(2) 120GB Corsair Force GT SSDs in RAID 0 with everything copied from my original using Acronis:

crystaldiskmark2x120gbc.png

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that with random data or 0/1 fill? Either way, nice improvement from the single drive! I did the same thing with my drives. :)

Here's what my Vertex 3s do with a 128 KB stripe (random data, of course). I only have it on a single iteration but I've never seen the numbers change going from 1 to 5 (and I don't want to waste cycles by benchmarking all the time :lol:).

post-8484-0-50766100-1329259763_thumb.gif

I always just use random. Yea, I will never complain with close to a 50% increase in performance when upgrading anything for my PC :biggrin: I actually forgot to change the iterations and didn't even realize it till you sd something :lol: I don't like wasting the cycles either :thumbsup:

Thanks for the benchmarks. This further supports what I have been saying about SSDs in RAID, that it does not improve random 4k performance, which is the most important to daily users who are not reading/writing large blocks of data.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Thanks for the benchmarks. This further supports what I have been saying about SSDs in RAID, that it does not improve random 4k performance, which is the most important to daily users who are not reading/writing large blocks of data.

this is true, but remember that (usually) dual 120gb are cheaper than the same model 240gb, and you get more speed with raid 0 than with the higher capacity drive. the only main drawback is that there is no TRIM, but thats getting fixed soon.

i got dual force 3 (non gt :cry: ) here, got them for 150 each, so now i got 240gb of fast ssd for less than the price of a 120gb vertex 3 at launch :biggrin:

this is true, but remember that (usually) dual 120gb are cheaper than the same model 240gb, and you get more speed with raid 0 than with the higher capacity drive. the only main drawback is that there is no TRIM, but thats getting fixed soon.

i got dual force 3 (non gt :cry: ) here, got them for 150 each, so now i got 240gb of fast ssd for less than the price of a 120gb vertex 3 at launch :biggrin:

True, it usually is cheaper by ~$10 - $20. But not enough to justify the loss of TRIM and the reduced reliability.

Prices at launch for any piece of hardware are generally higher. :pfp:

Edit: Also, the Force 3 uses cheaper NAND--the asynchronous NAND--which also contributes to the price difference.

Edited by PremiumAcc

True, it usually is cheaper by ~$10 - $20. But not enough to justify the loss of TRIM and the reduced reliability.

Prices at launch for any piece of hardware are generally higher. :pfp:

Edit: Also, the Force 3 uses cheaper NAND--the asynchronous NAND--which also contributes to the price difference.

im aware of all those points, but intel is releasing trim for raid 0 soon, i know the force 3 uses cheaper NAND, and im aware that prices go down, but my point is, performance for your dollar, raid 0 is cheaper than the larger drive

im aware of all those points, but intel is releasing trim for raid 0 soon, i know the force 3 uses cheaper NAND, and im aware that prices go down, but my point is, performance for your dollar, raid 0 is cheaper than the larger drive

True. But not by much.

What I want to know is why not use them as two separate drives? Most of the time, users won't be doing large file transfers, therefore there is NO performance increase. Furthermore, I do not see this as being the most practical use of the SSDs since there is no "real" performance increase, the loss of TRIM, and the reduction in reliability.

You must be looking at different numbers than me...the 4 KB results for a pair of drives is essentially double at any queue depth higher than 1.

True. But not by much.

What I want to know is why not use them as two separate drives? Most of the time, users won't be doing large file transfers, therefore there is NO performance increase. Furthermore, I do not see this as being the most practical use of the SSDs since there is no "real" performance increase, the loss of TRIM, and the reduction in reliability.

so i have 240gb of c drive.

trim is coming to raid 0