Windows product key 32-bit vs 64-bit?

kuri

Guys/gals I was wondering if Windows 7 product keys are the same for either 32-bit or 64-bit? I have a valid genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit product key which I have not activated yet. Bought it for my laptop a while back and never had the chance to install it. Can I borrow my friend's Win7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD and use the same key?

Hmm, I seem to remember it working for OEM copies, but not retail copies.. I could be wrong though.

OEM copies only come with one disc, while retail copies came with both a 32-bit and 64-bit install disc. Still, both discs activate off of a single key, because they only come with one key (I just checked my box).

Hmm, I seem to remember it working for OEM copies, but not retail copies.. I could be wrong though.

It works for both. As long as your install media matches your key (Pro, Home Premium, OEM, etc) you can use it for either the 32 bit or 64 bit installer.

Home, pro and ultimate are different but a licence for any of them work for 32 bit or 64 bit installs.

But what I can see in my MSDN account is they have different keys.

i.e. It provide different keys for Windows7 Pro 32bit & 64bit.

Although mmy account isn't a normal one but I got it for being a student partner. May be that does make difference. :unsure: