jack_of_java

Professional advice only please

My older brother dropped his external hard drive a while back, and it stopped working immediately. He really, really wants to get the data off of it, as it has a lot of pictures from when he was stationed in Africa. I need a recommendation from someone that has either gone through this process, or does the hard drive recovery. Who should i send it to? I know it isn't guaranteed to get any data back, but I would also like a ballpark figure of the cost. Thanks ahead of time.

I have been through this before for customers.

The amount will vary depending on how much data there is to recovery. I have seen it as cheap as $500 and as high as $6000.

Sadly I can't offer a company for the US since I am based in Canada. Nerm or Nemo might have an idea I think they have been down this road for clients.

I have seen people swap HDD platters when drives brake so they could get the data.

There is a WikiHow on how to do it.

Please note that if you try this you WILL lose your data and have two non functioning hard drives

This is an article regarding swapping hard drive platters. This is not a procedure for the technically inept or faint hearted. The following carries no guarantees, and defiantly voids and nullifies any existing warranty. It may be best to try swapping the controller board before going to a platter swap. This is less destructive, and you require an identical drive for either process anyway.

For a lot of people it is easy to pay the large sum of money and just let whatever company it is do basically just this for you.

There's a couple things to try first. You say it's an external caddy, you could try taking the actually HDD out of the caddy and try reading it. There's not much hope for this as the fall would generally kill the mechanical part of the drive, not the enclosure, but it's still worth trying. If you take it out, check to see if the drive makes noise when you give it power. If it spins up but won't read, or has the click of death, you may be able to play around with it a bit to get it to read enough to get data off. There's also the freezer trick where you stick the drive in the freezer a bit and then try running it. Not sure why, but it sometimes works. All of this is at your own risk, but it is sure worth trying before paying hundreds or thousands of dollars.

PM me the drive information and I can get you a ballpark figure. I do level 1 and 2 data recovery myself, but for anything more drastic I use drivesavers with whom I am a partner. Being a partner with drivesavers I can arrange for your drive to get free to them and back shipping as well as free diagnostics. I can also get you a 10 - 15% discount most of the time depending on the recovery.