Sign in to follow this  
wormy

(solved)raid performance

Ok I went with what I thought was going to be an upgrade going from the Asus M3N78 Pro to an Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and my raid performance took a big hit. I noticed it in PC Mark the first time I ran it. I lost close to 800 points even tho most of the test showed better results till I reached the hard disk part of the suite. Anyone have any idea what I can do or maybe give me some suggestion on ways to get some of the drive performance back? Im using the on-board SB950 chip for raid

rebuilt my raid from scratch and changed one of the write settings and its working back up to par :-)

Edited by wormy

Do you have the RAM cache enabled for your RAID array? You have to install AMD RaidXpert or whatever it's called to set up the RAID controller properly.

I have raidexpert installed and where would I enable ram cache?

You have to connect to the server (which should be a link on your start menu). I'm not entirely sure where it is in the options, but it's somewhere in there. :lol:

The only option I have that refers to cache is write cache and its enabled as well as NCQ

i left it at default of 16kb I think, here is a score comparison IDK what else to try

16 KB is waaaaay too small for a RAID array of HDDs. Use 128 KB.

Does that means I'll have to start from scratch? Meaning re-install windows and everything?

You can do system image backup with Windows 7 to another drive or a network location then just image it back. That's what I do when I need to change something like that.

ok cool I'm making a back up now, so 128kb is going to be best?