The ultimate free for all about cars

Tjj226_Angel

For now, I like me Tiger car with the open down pipe...she's not very quick but it does get me where I'm going with a little spirit and ROAR!!! :biggrin:

Just for the hell of it you should get those fake blow off noise exhaust whistles welded on.

:lol:

I love me some cars. Just bought an '01 Chevy Prizm and it's in great condition and I love it.

A few weeks back me and my pops went to Kissimmee to see the Mecum auto auction and it was a BLAST, got a butload of great pics (including a Ferrari 360 modena and a few others like a couple Testarosas etc) and had a great time. It was definitely an experience I'd gladly go through again, and was only 15 bucks.

Well, the turbos I'm thinking of are admittedly a little unorthodox, they fit on the exhaust after the muffler :lol:

STS turbos replace the muffler, and are not installed behind them. They would never spool up that far away after a muffler :).

I've ridden in an STS equipped LS1, a mild daily driver with 420 to the wheels. It actually needs to use a very small turbo to prevent lag, so unfortunately they will never make as much power as a proper front mount. For performance, you want the turbo as close to the cylinder head as possible to take advantage of the higher velocity, hotter exhaust gases - you don't want the air to travel alllll the way to the back of the car (slowing down as it cools), get compressed, then travel all the way back up to the intake. It works, but its not the most effective. A good benefit though is that the long cold side negates the need for an intercooler, since the compressed air cools on its own traveling towards the intake. As far as noise, it was quieter then my 3" true dual exhaust NA motor, and he had the turbo dumped without any mufflers. Maybe similar to a Flowmaster cat-back, but quieter then their single chambers. Definitely not as loud as a race bullet or glasspack setup.

I've also seen a prototype STS system for crotch rockets that puts the turbo under the tail :O. It was never made available to purchase, but was pretty cool.

In general, the STS systems are looked down upon by most auto enthusiasts, and unless you really don't have the underhood space for a front mount or don't want to cut up your car then I would suggest a traditional setup.

STS turbos replace the muffler, and are not installed behind them. They would never spool up that far away after a muffler :).

I've ridden in an STS equipped LS1, a mild daily driver with 420 to the wheels. It actually needs to use a very small turbo to prevent lag, so unfortunately they will never make as much power as a proper front mount. For performance, you want the turbo as close to the cylinder head as possible to take advantage of the higher velocity, hotter exhaust gases - you don't want the air to travel alllll the way to the back of the car (slowing down as it cools), get compressed, then travel all the way back up to the intake. It works, but its not the most effective. A good benefit though is that the long cold side negates the need for an intercooler, since the compressed air cools on its own traveling towards the intake. As far as noise, it was quieter then my 3" true dual exhaust NA motor, and he had the turbo dumped without any mufflers. Maybe similar to a Flowmaster cat-back, but quieter then their single chambers. Definitely not as loud as a race bullet or glasspack setup.

I've also seen a prototype STS system for crotch rockets that puts the turbo under the tail :O. It was never made available to purchase, but was pretty cool.

In general, the STS systems are looked down upon by most auto enthusiasts, and unless you really don't have the underhood space for a front mount or don't want to cut up your car then I would suggest a traditional setup.

Well if those STS systems are really as bad as you say, what I'd really love to do is get a Dodge Charger R/T AWD w/ 5.7L Hemi V8 and work this sucker into it ;)

http://www.shophemi.com/p-2275-57-hemi-based-custom-long-block-and-arrington-supercharger.aspx

>Awesome, time to show Waco what's up with a 335i, a 1 series, a used M3, or maybe even a Z4M, that'll show him what BMW precision engineering is all about (As a student at Clemson he'll have no idea what that is)

>Click link

>Horrible looking bottom of the barrel 5 series, not even the 545 or 550

>mfw

tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png

Personally I was just going to tap on the gas as waco would speed out ahead. His engine would cough and die, and I will roll right past.

Seriously though I tried to find a Z4M for a good price that was in pretty decent condition and I could not find one. That is what I had in mind though and I know that they exist, I just had a hard time finding one that didn't have any issues at around the 12K mark.