In need of some Intel experts!

The Xeon's aren't officially supported on the P67/Z68 boards, but they do work on some. In the past Xeon's could be overclocked, but these newer ones don't have unlocked multi's :(

Can someone shed some light on why I would want the i5 over the Xeon E3-1235?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52272,52210

If you are gaming, the the 2500K is better simply because it is cheaper and you won't need anything more than that. The xeon chip would be beneficial if you are using your pc as a workstation, and can use more threads. Even if you were to use you pc as a work station, I would try to squeeze some more money for something a bit more robust. Maybe a Xeon 1245?

The Xeon processor is really meant to power Servers as it does not really support sophisticated graphics. What it does do will is handle a hell of a lot of information while running multiple threads. A few years ago I built a quad Xeon powered Server with 4 high speed Ethernet cards driving 4 60 port switches. Xeons really allow for multiple SQL threads whth (seemingly) no thread conflict. So, my recommendation, for what it is worth, is that you go with the i5 or i7 - much cheaper.

The Xeon processor is really meant to power Servers as it does not really support sophisticated graphics. What it does do will is handle a hell of a lot of information while running multiple threads. A few years ago I built a quad Xeon powered Server with 4 high speed Ethernet cards driving 4 60 port switches. Xeons really allow for multiple SQL threads whth (seemingly) no thread conflict. So, my recommendation, for what it is worth, is that you go with the i5 or i7 - much cheaper.

Xeons and i5s/i7s are the same silicon - they can handle the same things for the most part (with the exception of some specific features being disabled for the consumer parts versus server parts).

Guys, the price diff is only like 40 bucks & with the Xeon I get HT i5 I don't

Thats kinda what I was wonfering

Yes, but you can't overclock the Xeon at all...where the i5 will easily overclock by over 1 GHz on average. :)

Lower price, overclocking, and compatibility.

There's literally zero reason to buy a Xeon CPU to stick in a consumer board.

And for the setup basically created for gaming 2500K is the best choice.

That xeon will work great for workstations and specially for those who want to run VM server. ;)