Overclocking a Phenom II 925 on 990FXA

wormy

Ok once upon a time I had a M3N78 Pro and had this thing clocked to 3.8, but that board died unsure.gif Now I'm lost with all the settings on this board its a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. Anyone have experience with this board? I can get the chip to 4.something but its not stable and there are lots of voltages I've been afraid to touch, I can post some screen shots up in a bit if that will help. I also have 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. With the ram should I go for more speed or tighter timings?(wtf are all the extra timing stuff anyways lol)

its just an X4 I wish it was a BE. That looks like a great article going to check it out now. Thanks

Edited to add photos

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0003.jpg

Edited by wormy

I don't have a board like yours but I may try to help a bit. :P

Since its a simple X4 (not a Black Edition X4) its going to overclock with the FSB. Since you upgrade with FSB you will overclock the NB (or IMC: Integrated Memory controller) that is in the CPU, HT and a couple more things.

At least in my simple X2 (Its not a black edition too), the limiting factor should be the NB frequency (since I can't lower it). So, try to give some voltage to the VDDNB and maybe some to the CPU.

I think that the VDDNB should be the CPU NB Vid control, since from what I took a look seconds ago, the NB voltage control is the chipset. :P

One "weird" thing is that I can't see something like a NB Frequency option. If I did have that option in my board, I could surpass the 4 GHz, since I wouldn't need to give so much voltage to the VDDNB. :P

I knew the basics I was just unsure of most of the voltages and what they went to, I've had this chip up to 3.8 from stock of 2.8 for close to a year, but the old board died. I do have the option for NB Frequency and have it dropped to just under 2000mhz atm edited to add cpuz validation 2236324.png

Edited by wormy

Ok once upon a time I had a M3N78 Pro and had this thing clocked to 3.8, but that board died unsure.gif Now I'm lost with all the settings on this board its a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. Anyone have experience with this board? I can get the chip to 4.something but its not stable and there are lots of voltages I've been afraid to touch, I can post some screen shots up in a bit if that will help. I also have 8Gb of Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. With the ram should I go for more speed or tighter timings?(wtf are all the extra timing stuff anyways lol)

I have the same board as you, but with a 965 BE, I found the OC'ing on this board to be pretty simple. Are you using the MBIT? I've never had any problems with it.