First Ever Build

Mogel

Ahk, cheers for that, I was seeing that trading of places when looking into GPUs to begin with and just assumed that I was better off learning about the 560ti when I saw it coming on top, never even thought of using 2 GPUs

Also just reading back over some comments, is there something inherently better about full towers? more space means more place to tuck away cables? or more space for upgrades if needed in the future?

And that really leads to, what should I be looking for in a tower? I was looking for what I thought was a good layout of fans [supported by reviews and opinions of others], and USB3.0 being a plus... oh and that it looks good of course :lol:

But if thats the wrong mindset, I'd love to know what the right one is

Full towers are better for because they have more room, and better air flow (most of the time). For instance if you look at the 912 you will see that you only have one fan on the side, and on the 932 you have an armada of fans. Now obviously this is not indicative of all cases, so in the end, it would come down to size. With what stoner has suggested about the 6870s I would go with the shinobi case for 65 bucks simply because it is so cheap and versatile. Literally, I can not think of a problem with that case that can not be modded away. Well, other than the obvious problem that it is not a money tree and it does not serve you breakfast in bed :P . You would lose the full tower space, but it would be easier on your wallet.

Also, I am going to strongly recommend you go with the 23.6 inch asus screen. What stoner recommended is good, but trust me, I have not had very good experiences with Acer customer service. It could even be a better screen, and I would still go with asus. When I used to work at the PC store down the street, we would have to call (or write) to many different companies for RMAs etc. . Acer found EVERY which way to not stand by their warranty. There was a guy with a laptop and his hard drive died about 3 weeks after purchase. It was too late to return it to best buy and Acer was calling it customer damage. It wasn't dropped or cased by any human intervention what so ever. Acer was just being Acer.

Asus on the other hand has gone out of their way to help me in situations that I didn't even need help. There is literally too many positive experiences with them to count.

Even with the screen being 25 bucks more, you get .6 more inches over acer, you have a better scree response time, AND you have better customer service (if Acer CS in AUS is anything like the CS in the USA).

I know a whole bunch of members will again argue this with me, but all I am going to say is I called Acer three times while I was working, and I am glad to say I will never have to call them again. As for Asus, I a a fan boy through and through, and for a very good reason ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go against a mid tower case.. After all, not everyone wants a giant case with lot's of wasted space inside and the smaller form factor would lead to a better air flow (provided good choice of fans are installed) like the HAF 922 (200mm Front and side Intake, 140mm back exhaust and 200mm top exhaust). Don't forget that it could cost as low as 1/2 then a full tower case (but most that are comparable are about 3/4 or 4/5 of full tower ones) I'm loving my Carbide 500R and I'm sure that I'd love it more once I can get my hands on a H100 :biggrin:

For the board, I'd go with the ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3. I have the V Pro variant and it's a fantastic performing board. Both are essentially identical with the V Pro having better features such as better Audio, etc.. Not worthed to jump from the normal V imo.

Ram wise I'd go with what Stonerboy779 has given. You could also try different colours of it to match them with your board for aesthetics.

PSU I'd go with either Corsair or Seasonic since they're usually better performing and better reliabilty..

GPU wise, 6870 in Xfire would be a beast, but I'd suggest to get either a reference card or one with a great aftermarket cooler.

The reference card blows hot air outside your case thus eliminating the heat building up inside and heating up your second card. But It''s relatively louder then most aftermarket cooler and in single card, can get a lot hotter too.

Aftermarket coolers like MSI's Twin Frozr III blows hot air inside the case thus building up some heat. But the TFIII coolers are great coolers that even the heat build up would not be a problem. And they're silent like a ninja too :biggrin:

If you insist on going single card 560Ti, try and see if you can get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187151

It's the best 560Ti I know but there aren't many store that have them in stock. Best alternative is the 560Ti you've chosen.

:cheers:

Edited by vandreadstriker

Ah yes I'm very familiar with Acer customer service and usually try to find anything else rather than settling for them

I like the idea of having the full tower, as its large and has the large number of fans, but the idea of it being larger and heavier than a mid-tower may be too much of a con

I am currently thinking of getting the HAF922 at the moment due to it being a decent 50 bucks less and was wondering if installing a side fan would help cool the two GPUs down?

Also to get crossfire happening I'm assuming I have to buy some sort of bridge? Or do crossfire bridges usually come with your motherboard?

The only things I would change would be the Ram to this ram http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16437 because you are getting better quality ram at a better speed. It is the more popular ram basically. You can go with value ram, I personally would not simply because you get what you pay for ;) . I know about 40 members are going to argue that with me but so be it.

Why would they argue about that ram? I am asking because I am looking to buy that ram too. :P

I have been using Asus for years without any kind of problems. My father's Crosshair III was "killed" by an electricity peak caused by a thunder close by, sent to Asus as a RMA and its coming home probably fixed even if it took about 2 months. :D

Ah yes I'm very familiar with Acer customer service and usually try to find anything else rather than settling for them

I like the idea of having the full tower, as its large and has the large number of fans, but the idea of it being larger and heavier than a mid-tower may be too much of a con

I am currently thinking of getting the HAF922 at the moment due to it being a decent 50 bucks less and was wondering if installing a side fan would help cool the two GPUs down?

Also to get crossfire happening I'm assuming I have to buy some sort of bridge? Or do crossfire bridges usually come with your motherboard?

The bridge comes with some boards although that is mainly with amd boards not intel. However the bridge is only a couple bucks. PCCG sells them.

Never had to use Acer CS for any of the screens around the house but that's what happens when they have had no issues at all.

The bridge comes with some boards although that is mainly with amd boards not intel. However the bridge is only a couple bucks. PCCG sells them.

Never had to use Acer CS for any of the screens around the house but that's what happens when they have had no issues at all.

ASUS/Gigabyte/ASrock normally bundles them with all their boards.

It's somewhat of a lottery. When you get a good batch, you'd be happy all the way. Once you get a bad batch, you're pretty much stuck with the only chance of RMA is to bring it yourself to their office and wait for them to check & confirm it's a faulty product.

ASUS/Gigabyte/ASrock normally bundles them with all their boards.

It's somewhat of a lottery. When you get a good batch, you'd be happy all the way. Once you get a bad batch, you're pretty much stuck with the only chance of RMA is to bring it yourself to their office and wait for them to check & confirm it's a faulty product.

I got unlucky with my last two msi boards then haha good thing I got sli tho :evilgrin:

True very true once burned...... Actually in a way I have delt with aver I got two MIR off them two years ago.

Have you considered MSY.com.au? they've got a new store in Adelaide's CBD (I've had great service from their Melbourne stores), what you save on shipping (especially cases) could be reinvested back into upgrade components OR LED bling eh? :thumbsup:

• Coolermaster Hyper-212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler - $39.00
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 DDR3 - $164.00
  • Coolermaster RC-912A-KWN1 HAF 912 Advanced - $107.00

Have you considered MSY.com.au? they've got a new store in Adelaide's CBD (I've had great service from their Melbourne stores), what you save on shipping (especially cases) could be reinvested back into upgrade components OR LED bling eh? :thumbsup:

Prices from the mentioned site

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 - $173

i5 2500K - $229

G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8G Kit - $52

Lite-On 24 SATA DVDRW - $21

Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $105

LG IPS226V - $159

CM Hyper 212 EVO - $39

2x HIS HD 6870 - $185ea = $370

Corsair TX750W - $141

CM HAF 922 - $118

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium - $93

Total: $1500 (woohoo)

Add Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD - $229

Total: $1729

Edited by vandreadstriker

Why would they argue about that ram? I am asking because I am looking to buy that ram too. :P

I have been using Asus for years without any kind of problems. My father's Crosshair III was "killed" by an electricity peak caused by a thunder close by, sent to Asus as a RMA and its coming home probably fixed even if it took about 2 months. :D

I got into an argument with people a couple weeks ago. I was saying that value ram can cause issues with CPU voltages, which is why I recommend good quality ram ie. Mushkin or Corsair. Others were saying I was full of crap basically and said that value ram is fine. Then we got into the idea of binning ram. And so on and so on.

Most were arguing that it was bad for me to be recommending expensive "overclocking ram" to people who weren't going to overclock, but I just look at it as you get what you pay for, and if you want quality and reliability, it will cost a bit extra.

There is nothing wrong with the ram, it is just a matter of a difference of opinions :biggrin: