XtremeDS CM 690 II AMD build

XtremeDS

How does my desk look now:

20120705121641.jpg

Not so crowded now, and since my phone was recharging (its possible to notice that in the desk :P ), I had to take the photo with another phone.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some time, I've got news this week. :D

20121210180931.jpg

- TP-link switch with 8 ports

- Ozone mousepad

- One red Led fan for the exhaust

- Intel 330 180GB SSD.

Here is the SSD:

20121210194458.jpg

So this is how it looks now:

20121210211154.jpg

It was a really nice update for me. I was really needing a switch to connect another PCs, the red led fan changed the look a bit and the mousepad is a bit more confortable than my other ozone GroundLevel S.

However, the update that I like the most is the SSD. It may not be the fastest but it still is really fast.The time it takes to boot or to shutdown is much smaller and I use a login password or it would be even faster.

I am still reinstalling applications I need daily so I still didn't get the chance to benchmark the SSD or the whole CPU with it, not even gaming. So in the next few days I will probably do a few benchmarks and maybe see how it performs recording a gameplay. :D

Edited by XtremeDS

Here are the benchmarks and I must say: I was surprised by the diference it made . :O

I know that it isn't a record breaking SSD in terms of speed and that does reflect in the Crystaldiskmark:

crystaldiskmarkq.png

It isn't that impressive, I know. However when I run the PCMark Vantage:

image_id_879502.png

That is almost twice than it was on my HDD, which is 320GB, Sata II and 7200 RPM:

3cores37pcvantage.png

In terms of gaming, I still can't tell much about it. I only have GW2 installed in it and just played a little and it felt a bit smooter (maybe It had some stuttering in my HDD) and the loading seems a bit faster.

I can also notice some heavy programs loads faster, so the system seems more responsive.

So it definitely was a nice upgrade and a nice way to give some life to a simple Phenom II X2 with 3 cores unlocked. :)

• 1 month later...

After a few days of overclocking, testing and my crosshair V almost doing a year, I finally did beat  the 4 GHz barrier and my old record for CPU frequency: :woo:

2682972.png

http://hwbot.org/submission/2353316_xtremeds_cpu_frequency_phenom_ii_x2_545_4138.71_mhz

I also did beat a few more old benchmarks I did have, like the superpi. I also used the rog connect which I have never used before. Really nice feature.

I hope to have news in the next weeks. :)

Edit: A few more photos and turned the PSU upside down.

20130210004911.jpg

Inside:

20130210005056.jpg

Edited by XtremeDS

• 3 weeks later...

After a busy week, I finally had some time to install it.  :D

Installing it:

20130303120516.jpg

After installing:

20130303131201.jpg

20130303160101.jpg

The fans:

20130303131242.jpg

Some more photos of the box from the WC:

20130228134212.jpg

20130228134258.jpg

In terms of noise, it was a bit noisy when I run it for the first time, but I had to change the fan settings and its almost silent now. My GPU does much more noise. :tongue:

In terms of temperature, at idle the temperatures are about the same. Running prime95 I did get about 7-8

Edited by XtremeDS

• 1 month later...

Time for another upgrade... again! I really wasn't expecting so much upgrades this year. :tongue:

My father moved to France looking for a job (a month ago) and needed my monitor since he couldn't carry his 21" CRT (too big). So yesterday was time to upgrade.

I looked for the VE278H but I found it a bit too expensive comparing to the 24" equivalent. I was going for a VS248H but then I found this one:

20130409213713.jpg

It was a bit less expensive than the VS248H, and even if its like an inch smaller it has more constrast than the VS248H and less response time.

20130409214158.jpg

20130409214225.jpg

20130409214240.jpg

After check that everything was OK with the monitor I took the rest of the scratch protection, that plastics.

It is really slim this monitor and I don't have the ghosting I had with my VE247H while browsing or working. I already played a bit with it and it was really great.

It's a shame my 9600GT 1GB can't do a better job with newer games since I can't crank up the settings because I can see much more details and color with this monitor to make it even more amazing. :)

• 5 months later...

After some time since I last posted, I've got some good and bad news.

The good news is that today I received an order I made in Monday:

e4g8.jpg

kmdw.jpg

Which turns out to be this:

w9ec.jpg

After some time, I finally have a side-panel with window for my case. :D

y0dn.jpg

9pdh.jpg

However, a more attentive person may notice that I am using aircooling, and that's the bad news. :(

My Swiftech H220 had problems since the pump was sort of coming and going, like droping to 0, return to normal speed, then drop again to 0, return to normal speed... so I sent it to RMA and it should be coming in less than a month. I know of a case which took about 2 weeks, which like mine, had to be sent to France.

• 2 months later...

Time for some news and upgrades.  :D

My H220 was a month in RMA and has been installed this last month. Until now, no problems with it. I hope it does keep that way from now on, since my case doesn't have the correct CPU cut-out I need to take the motherboard from the case to uninstall the cpu cooler.

At the same time, I was thinking in an HDD for my PC... so I bought a new GPU. :P

qxlj.jpg

4fz6.jpg

9ksf.jpg

A few things that came with it:

gg89.jpg

And here is a few photos from the GPU itself:

cyvq.jpg

fl3p.jpg

5frh.jpg

A few photos withe the GPU already installed:

f972.jpg

And running:

q458.jpg

Here is some photos from my Asus 9600 GT 1GB:

j0o8.jpg

fplu.jpg

It served me well for 4 years without problems. It is kind of special for me this GPU: served me for a couple of years, the first GPU I overclocked and tried to improve it during the years and surprised me for the amount of years it could play games without problems at relative high settings. However, the newer games are too much for it now, since I have to play them at low settings and with about 30 FPS or even lower. Hope to use it later, when I finish this project and with the spare parts I can build my secondary PC. :)

About the new GPU, it began with a great start... by underscaling my desktop and screen flickering while browsing. :wallbash:

The undescaling was simple as changing a setting in the catalyst control center and the flickering seems to be driver related but isn't that problematic, since it doesn't happen that much times and its a random thing.

About the GPU, since that it isn't really related to it, everything looks great. No artifacts appearing, stressing with occt and looking for errors at the same time, it really is silent and was a jump in terms of performance.

I didn't try to overclock it yet but hope to do it soon, since I don't really have much time now.

When I overclock it, I will put images how does it perform.

Edited by XtremeDS