XtremeDS CM 690 II AMD build

XtremeDS

I am just using this because my monitor is in RMA again, in fact, it did go an hour ago. :P

Since I am a student and don't have a job, I can't ask for much. In fact, I worked 6 months to pay my studies and I am just using a bit of that to upgrade my PC. :-/

Probably in 2 or 4 weeks, I will get back my monitor back and hopefully working well this time. If not... its another few weeks and then, it comes right or I am bringing a new monitor. :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some news but I don't have much time now, since I am still configuring it. I may say however that I have a new board and with it, new ram. :thumbsup:

I will post images and write a log later. At the same time, I have a little surprise. :D

Now I have some free time to do the log. :biggrin:

Today is the day that I bought a new board and Ram and the day that I did lose my mind. :lol:

Since where I was going to buy the Sabertooth 990FX today, didn't have it... I bought the Crosshair V. :lol:

They would only recieve the Sabertooth on thursday and the G.Skill Sniper in 10 day, so I brought the Crosshair V with 8GB Corsair Vengeance:

20120211141932.jpg

Since they didn't have the Sabertooth, I kinda did lose my mind and go for the ROG, and I don't regret it. Both the Sabertooth or Rog are great boards.

20120211142000.jpg

20120211142159.jpg

Some of the extras it does bring:

20120211142404.jpg

It does bring too a Bundle CD with a few utilities, like the Daemon Tools Pro and a year of Kaspersky.

Thats the surprise I did talk about. I really wasn't expecting to bring a Crosshair V. I did like the Corsair Vengeance too:

20120211142859.jpg

I didn't think they were so big but it wasn't such a problem for the cooler. :biggrin:

I have a image with it already inside the PC:

20120211155722.jpg

I could install it in the first and third slot, but even if I did put the cooler higher, it was really close to the aluminium and the copper tubes, so I did go for the second and fourth slot, which at the same time, I could put the cooler lower, so it wouldn't certainly hit the case.

After a litle mod in the PSU, since the 4-pin going to the board was two and they were in separate places, so I had to cut a plastic brace.

20120211161137.jpg

After I did put everything and did connect the back chassis fan in a other place (I did connect it first at a opt port), it did look like this:

20120211165539.jpg

Then it was simply turn on, change the Ram to 1600 and reinstall the windows. Then install drivers, installl some more things, update the bios and change settings again, and install some more things. :biggrin:

Another photo I did take, was this one:

20120211170746.jpg

My old M4A78 board, that I really like too. I will use it later in another project. I hope that later I can buy a cheaper CPU and build a server or a testing PC. :evilgrin:

At last, I did take a few screenshots, with a few information about it:

screenstock.png

At this moment I don't have a overclock in the CPU. I want the CPU to work a bit at stock in this board and then maybe next month begin exploring it. :evilgrin:

The only part that is now in overclock is the GPU with a 100 MHz overclock in the GPU and the Memory Clock. I think that the shader has a 250 MHz overclock. :thumbsup:

Another thing I did do was a SuperPI 1M test:

superpistock.png

It is 4 seconds slower than my 3705 MHz setup and about 7 seconds slower than the 3930 MHz setup in my old board but it is expected since it is in a stock setup. I don't even have more cores unlocked.

That is it for today. I didn't do anything more than this today basically and won't probably do more for now. It is a upgrade I really did like to do with a board that deep inside, was the one that I wanted. :biggrin::P

Hope you like the log. :thumbsup:

My father has a Crosshair III 790FX with a X2 550 Black Edition, has unlocked the two cores and it shows the temperatures I think. :blink:

When I got to the Tweaker in the bios, I simply got lost with so MUCH settings it has compared to my old one. It is completely different, even to my father's Crosshair III.

I want to see for now how it will work for the next weeks and learn a bit more about the options it does offers, like the board buttons it has for example. ;)

Maybe I need to update my Bios. Haven't updated since it's out of the box :doh:

LLC, Multiplier, FSB & Voltage is all you need frankly.

When unlocking the 2 cores, make sure to up the voltage a bit and do Prime95 for a few hours at stock to make sure it's actually stable and all. You wouldn't want to fry the whole CPU when using the 2 unlocked cores.

I only have a simple X2 545 at 3GHz, so I don't have an unlocked multiplier. :-/

The only way is to go with FSB, so I do have a few more things to care about but it shouldn't be a problem.

About the CPU frying... well, it didn't fry until now, so it won't probably fry later, unless I go crazy. :lol:

Edited by XtremeDS

No 4 cores unlocked. I tested it moments ago. :-/

I did go to CPU configuration, enabled core unlocker and gave more 0.6v to the CPU. Well... it did shutdown after saveing and exit from the Bios. It eventually did re-start, but didn't show a thing in the screen.

Solution: Click in a button at the back of the board to clear the CMOS. :P

It's fine now, it is working in 2 cores. :P

did you mean +0.06V?

using close to 2V could be the problem otherwise.

Most motherboards i've used can activate the cores individually, so if you try them one at a time you might unlock one of them at least ;)

You might have to push your core voltage up quite a bit to get it to boot with 4 (or even 3) cores. My X3 when I still used it took 1.45 volts just to boot with all 4 cores enabled.