XtremeDS CM 690 II AMD build

XtremeDS

So, here it is the log from my actual PC.

It began, two years ago, as a simple Phenom II X2 545 3 GHz with a Asus M4A78 as a motherboard, 4 GB of Corsair XMS DDR2-800 ram and a Nvidia 9600 GT. The HDD is a Matrox with 320 GB and the PSU was a Gigabyte rated as 450 w. My old case I know it was white and that it came from Pentium IV 1800 MHz. :lol:

After three months, I had for christmas my first mod: A thermaltake ISGC-300, which I still have and really like. It has a review made by OCC too: biggrin.gif

1.jpg
Review by OCC for the ISGC-300

A few months after that, I tried something I have never done in a computer: An overclock.
That is how I started to like overclock, and could take my PC to the maximum I ever achieved with it: 3975 MHz. I think that now I could do over about 10 MHz, but not much more.

A year after I bought a new monitor, which I still use, but is RMA for now. It died turning on. It was a BSOD literaly. :lol:

Now, just last year, in 2011, I really began to love again computers and being around them and gain interest (again) in them. I lost the interest in them for a few years even if I was studying computer engineering. tongue.gif

Then, in about 3 months, I changed a couple of things in it.

The first one, was changeing the graphic card to a Asus HD 5750, that I still have. After that, came a new keyboard, almost like this one:
222221541.jpg

Two weeks after the keyboard, I bought something that I saw about 2 years ago, and I was like "I really want to have this.". Which is... my PC case:

20120130134311.jpg
It is a Cooler Master CM690 II Basic.

For overclocking, like the which one I have now, it proves a bit more cooler than my old PC case and I am far from using what it can provide. biggrin.gif
Well, my old "wolf in a sheep skin" case still provided me with a good laugh in a Lan party I went. :lol:

A bit after buying the PC case, I found that my Ram was the same as the XMS2 1066, even the part code was the same. biggrin.gif

At the same time, I began again my jorney through overclocks again, not looking this time for the max frequency, but for stability, that began with this:
1041.gif?nocache=132795891280310500
2176025.png

The stability it achieved was a AMDGeeks Certified 'Rock stable overclock', that consisted in a CPU-Z validation, a super-pi run and 10 hours of prime 95, stressprime 2004 or in my case, Orthos (Its like stressprime, but more oriented for more cores or HT).

Not being satisfied, I raised the again the voltages, and used the Ram with more voltage:
1042.gif?nocache=132795915815188400
2180701.png
This is the daily overclock I use, since it doesn't put too much burden in the board. This was rock solid too.

However, the almost max I could overclock this was to this one:
1043.gif?nocache=132795926498289500
2186844.png
This only consisted in CPU-Z validation and Super-Pi.

I have the screenshots with super-pi, orthos, cand CPU-Z... I may post later if you want. wink.gif

I simply can't overclock much more than that with my board, since it doesn't have a NB multiplier, even if it is what I a think a 3+3 phase board (3 offset for CPU voltage and 3 for VDDNB). Since I don't have the NB multiplier, the overclock limit is lowered to only 20-30 % more than stock.

That was my upgrades in 2 years.

I have a few more photos from it:
20120130154228n.jpg
This is my current setup. My K360 keyboard, a Nplay mouse and a MONSTER of 21" CRT from SUN microsystems... that is a Sony underneath. :lol:
As you may see, I have a logitech sound system... with about 15 years, that sometimes is 2.0 or 1.0. One of the sides doesn't work sometimes, so I need to volume up for it to gave sound. :lol:

My old graphic card, an Asus 9600 GT:
20120130154454.jpg
I used the little cooler to help cooling my chipset, since I liked it to be under the 60º c. That was until I read that it could reach more than 100º c without problems. :lol:

And the interior of my case:
20120130154514.jpg
Another thing that I forgot to tell, is that when I changed my case, I upgraded too to a Gigabyte GE-P610A-C2 PSU with 610 w.

And thats my actual system, as I have him now. Hopefully, my Samsung 23" monitor (that went to RMA) should come this week... well, I would have it right now, if the guys who repaired it wouldn't have forgotten to send me the power cable.
:mfp:

I should be upgrading my PC in the next weeks, for a new board (Crosshair V or Sabertooth), and probably using 8GB of G.Skill Sniper SR DDR3-1600 as my Ram. I would buy a cheaper Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600... but I think that they would hit my CPU cooler. tongue.gif

Sorry for the long text and hope you like it. :thumbsup:

Edited by XtremeDS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was interesting DS. I would bet that you did a lot of reading about OC'ing before you jumped in?

The 21" CRT brought back memories. I remember they weighed about 100lbs and they made you the local king of gamers! LOL

Nice OC on the x2 545,(3930Mhz) especially if the 1.45v is accurate.

interesting evolution, that was a fun look :thumbsup:

Well, the first time I overclocked I didn't read so much. It was a test and error tests. I hit the ram limit at around 3400 Mhz, and my father told me to lower the ram frequency. Then I keep trying until I could reach the 3975 MHz. I knew that the problem was the NB Frequency, since I could read it at the CPU-Z but I didn't have a option to lower it or give even more voltage. Well, I didn't really know what every option was. I knew that I was giveing more voltage to the CPU, NB, chipset... but what was the NB frequency and the LLC?

When I did this last round of overclock, I could learn what every settings was, what the NB was and the LLC too. I learned too that better boards could lower the NB frequency.

This time, I read a lot about overclocking and other things, like the PSU, about overclocking the ram, overclocking the GPU, how much I could overclock my board since I didn't have a NB multiplier and about every component I had in my PC. I had university work to do, but I still spent 2 weeks reading. :lol:

I bought this monitor, that was already a used and old, with around ten years, for about $50. I suspect that it was in a studio or was from a photographer, since it has a lot of color option and the main cable from it was for a MAC. :D

And yes... it really is heavy. If I sold it for weight, I would be rich. :lol: I did once, carrying it, twist my ankle, falling with it, break the base but it still works very well. :D

Edited by XtremeDS

I have some news. I recieved today my Samsung P2370 monitor from RMA, and its going again to RMA. :-/

The problem before was that it did turn on, but no image. This time he did turn on, but it did have some sort of darker diagonal lines, that it did already have before it did a BSOD literaly. :P

Another problem is that it did turn on and show image in the shop, they did take all the cables with it turned on... and when I got home, it didn't connect to any of our computers, and even me changeing the GPU didn't solved the problem.

My monitor is this one:

samsung_p2370hd_1.jpg

So, my monitor should be going tomorrow to RMA AGAIN. :vmad:

Another thing is that the Crosshair III from my father is coming home from RMA (however, here the problem was one completely diferent, which he should be really grateful to Asus) and I did have to give back the HD5750 and go back to my POWERFUL Nvidia 9600 GT. :lol:

So... I am going for a Nvidia

GT Overclock! :lol: Edited by XtremeDS

I was using with the HD5750 a resolution of 1400x1050, but now I am using 1600x1200 at 75 Hz.

I rarely use the shortcut below the recycle bin. Last time I used it was for downloading the Taiwanese version of Dragon Ball Online, that is free. :lol:

Yes, I use steam and it is what I use to buy games, since they're MUCH cheaper than buying around here. :D

Edited by XtremeDS

1280x960 is a 4:3 resolution so it's not so odd, 1280:1024 is way weirder since it is 5:4...

Have you tried unlocking the extra cores on you cpu? I would way that is way more worth than overclocking 20%

Having you chipset over 60C in the long run is not good, especially not over 80C, so i would either lower the chipset voltage, back down the OC a little, or get better cooling.

My board can't unlock the extra cores since it is a SB700 southbridge. My father's Crosshair III have that feature and he did unlock his Phenom II X2 550 BE to 4 cores and then overclocked to 3.8 GHz. :P

I am using 3.7 GHz without over-voltage in the Chipset: ;)

1042_3.jpg

I think that the Temp2 in the speedfan is the Chipset and that is his temperature after 10 hour straight stress test. I only use a bit more voltage in the chipset when I am going for 39xx MHz, which I don't use normally, because I need to use the max voltage my board can use in the VDDNB and I can't lower the NB frequency, since I don't have an option for that. :P

Another peculiar thing, is that I may download 3 different softwares to see the voltages, temperatures, etc... and all of them give different numbers. The most precise I found for it is the PC Probe II, and the +12v is wrong. :lol:

1280x960 is a 4:3 resolution so it's not so odd, 1280:1024 is way weirder since it is 5:4...

Have you tried unlocking the extra cores on you cpu? I would way that is way more worth than overclocking 20%

Having you chipset over 60C in the long run is not good, especially not over 80C, so i would either lower the chipset voltage, back down the OC a little, or get better cooling.

Yes just saying that it's not everyday you see people using CRTs anymore, especially here...