Disparaitre

Yeah, if I count out Oblivion ( 5.5gb ) and Skyrim ( 5.6gb ) that drops 11gb from the space and I don't play those much anymore on account of how stoopid the Ai is -.- If I have to I could probably shave another 10gb off of the games I don't play as much as I am kinda on a TF2/STALKER binge atm with a little BioShock 2 and Fallout 3 to change things up.

I was also hoping to do this soon as there never is a guarantee on when the next deal will be and I kinda want the SSD to arrive next week when I get my HD 6950 from XFX for the toasted HD 5870 I sent in :) I'm also sitting on 8gb of ram on a 32-bit OS waiting for an SSD to reinstall with 64-bit to make the most of the ram and the new video card.

You probably left hibernation on with your current build. You are going to want to turn that off regardless when making the switch to SSD. Turning that off will remove hiberfil.sys file (located on C:\) which matches your RAM count - so that would be an additional 8GB without any sacrifices to your current routine.

At the command prompt (where the flashing cursor is) type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press the Enter key.

Very very good observation and suggestion Fogel. And be advised, that sometimes it mysteriously reappears if you go messing around with your power plan options or make other changes to your system. So if you ever find yourself missing a good chunk of free space double check and make sure hibernation is disabled. You can easily check this by looking for the file name that Fogel mentioned in his post above.

In folder options > view - you'll need to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and check "Show hidden files, folders and drives" though. Otherwise the file will be hidden.

Looks like that 90gb drive from corsair is now $119.99 shipped.

I've been tracking prices for several weeks and they go up ad down daily at times.

One other thing is if you have 8GB or more RAM you might consider turning off your page file to save more space.

Edited by Kingfisher

One other thing is if you have 8GB or more RAM you might consider turning off your page file to save more space.

Turning off the page file is useless. Turn it down to some small size (like 512 MB or something) before turning it off - disabling it causes far more problems than the small space you get back from it is worth.

Turning off the page file is useless. Turn it down to some small size (like 512 MB or something) before turning it off - disabling it causes far more problems than the small space you get back from it is worth.

Hmm what kind of problems?

Hmm what kind of problems?

Anything that relies on a page file will simply fail. Photoshop, for instance, does NOT like to be run without a page file. There's no real reason to disable it.

I never completely disable the page file. Move it, resize it........ yes.

I know lots of people who claim they run without any page file and don't have a single problem. But I guess many of the apps I use on a day to day basis like a page file because they actually work the way they are supposed to when the page file is enabled.